Nick
Nick, Plumber
Experience:  I have 9 years of experience and a vast knowledge in commercial and residential plumbing.

My Kohler 4421-CA, 1.28 GPF is acting up. The tank fills to

My Kohler 4421-CA, 1.28 GPF is acting up. The tank fills to the water line, then starts to shut off... only to continue to fill slightly and does not stop. I had to shut off the water to the house to deal with an issue with pipes in the garage, and when i turned the water back on, this issue began. Toilet is barely a year old and never had issues until now.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Nick replied 1 year ago.

Nick :

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do my best to help you resolve your problem. Feel free to ask any questions to better help you.

Nick :

Hi, how are you?

Customer:

all good... besides this toilet issue

Nick :

you said you checked the flapper already and it is sealed and not allowing any water through right?

Customer:

correct

Nick :

did you try pulling up on the ball cock or cup that rises to shut the water, to see if it shuts off then?

Customer:

just now tried pulling up on it and it still does not shut off

Nick :

usually when turning off and on main water valves debris will run through the line, especially with galvanized lines. you may have to pull apart the flll valve to clean out debris in there. give me one minute while I look up the type that you would have so I can tell you how to open it up

Customer:

cool

Nick :

ok, i'm still not sure which one is used, is it a plastic cup that rises to shhut off or a ball on a rod?

Customer:

plastic cup... like a plastic piston / cylinder

Nick :

Ok make sure the supply valve is off. On the top there is a cap that comes off, it usually twist off or there will be a snap lock where you just pull the tab then lift it up

Customer:

done. and done.

Nick :

Is there a rubber diaphram (washer looking thing) that you can lift up there may be a plastic plate that comes off first?

Nick :

Remember the order of everything as you lift them out

Nick :

if you get this out clean off any debris you can find on the diaphram and in the casing

Nick :

With everything off you can place your hand or a cup or bowl over the full valve and just barely open the supply valve to flush out any remaining debris

Customer:

unfortunately, i don't see a diaphram or any plastic piece that looks like it comes off. i took off the cap, and underneath the cap is the arm that controls the water level which attaches to the floater... nothing that looks like it detaches.

Nick :

Do you have a way to take and send a picture? So I can see the inside and have a better idea of what you need to do to clean this out

Customer:

for sure... sorry if i'm not using the proper words... it may be a communication error on my part... will send a pic here and that will probably help

Nick :

No, you're doing fine. It's just hard to know what fill valve you have since there are several different types

Customer:

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Customer:

Full Size Image

Nick :

Sorry bare with me for just one moment. You may need a thin screwdriver or two, or a knife

Nick :

ok, look for the two small plastic legs that go across from each other to the opposite ends

Customer:

from under where i removed the red cap ?

Nick :

if you use a knife or flat screwdriver you can pull up on these just enough to twist the whole plastic piece onto what looks like little ramps

Nick :

yes

Nick :

If you look at white pins that hold the lever, the two gray legs go the same direction but all the way across to the outer ring base

Customer:

then i rotate it as far as i can ?

Nick :

Yes once you lift up the legs onto the ramps twist it all the way til it comes right off, make sure you lift the lever to allow it to spin

Customer:

i have it detatched now

Nick :

once this comes off clean off the rubber diaphram really good along with the inside of the casing, you can even turn on the water supply just a bit while holding your hand or a cup over it to clear it out

Customer:

ok... did that... now seal it back up ?

Nick :

Yes close it back up the same way and that should fix that up. Was there any debris in there?

Nick :

If for any reason this didn't work then another fairly easy option is to replace the fill valve. They cost about $8 at tour local hardware store and only have a single nut to unscrew to take them off

Customer:

DUDE ! totally worked ! you rock, my friend !

Customer:

however i do see that there is water leaking into the top of the fill valve... is that normal ?

Customer:

or bad ?

Nick :

Awesome, good work! I would also recommend taking off all of your faucet aerators and cleaning those out, along with the screen filters on your shower heads for these too will have debris clogging them up

Nick :

what part is leaking?

Nick :

the top that you just put back on?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

it was dry when i put it back on and now has some water on it after a few flushes...

Nick :

I have seen these to drip before and not affect anything, you can try taking this piece off again and making sure there isn't anything preventing it to seal completely

Customer:

but the toilet doesn't keep filling anymore

Customer:

so that's awesome !

Nick :

Can you see water leaking or spraying?

Customer:

no spraying at all. when i flush the toilet, a small amount of water seeps up around the perimiter of the top i took on and off. but my original issue has been resolved.

Nick :

That does happen sometimes i've even seen it on brand new toilets. If it gets worse however you may want to open that up again and see if there is anyrhing else in there blocking the outer seal

Nick :

If there isn't anything else that I can help you with please rate my service it will be greatly appreciated. If you ever have any other problems or questions I will be happy to help you if you direct them to me.

Customer:

dig it bro... thanks for droppin' science ! i got you @ a shade above excellent. much appreciated.

Nick, Plumber
Experience: I have 9 years of experience and a vast knowledge in commercial and residential plumbing.