qwasert
qwasert, Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber
7115410

Can I caulk the gaps between the plastic sleeves and the copper

Can I caulk the gaps between the plastic sleeves and the copper where my pipes come up through the concrete slab in my home?

qwasert :

Hi, Welcome To Just Answer. My name isXXXXX will do my best to help you figure out your problem or the best course of action.

qwasert :

How are you doing today? I'll be happy to answer your questions about calking your plumbing pipes!

Customer:

Good, thanks

qwasert :

First, let me ask why you are interested in caulking between the sleeve and the copper pipe?

Customer:

I'm getting mold inside the sleeves and odors coming up through that area that's open to the ground below. I'm here in central florida where mildew is a constant and pervasive battle.

qwasert :

That is understandable, I think it is a good idea to calk that and seal the moisture into the floor.

Customer:

I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't violate any local building practices or codes that may have been put in place to prevent such things as sink holes that are common here in marion county.

qwasert :

There is no building or plumbing code restricting the use of caulk around your plumbing pipes in any location, caulk can be removed easily enough if any repair needed to take place. I would recommend using 100% silicone caulk it is 100% water proof, and is easy cleanup with 409 kitchen cleaner.

Customer:

I've already tackled the pipes that feed my kitchen sink. I used urethane caulk. After having done so, I got an increase in the odor in my house which I cannot explain. The odor has now subsided and I wanted to hear from a professional plumber before I tackled the rest of the house. Thank you very much for your help.

qwasert :

Do you think the odor is coming from the caulk itself or the odor of mildew from the holes in the slab?

Customer:

Definitely not caulk. I'm very familiar with this odor. I've been trying to locate it for 10 years. I finally tracked it down to inside the wall at the kitchen sink. When I opened the wall I saw the sleeves and mildew inside.

qwasert :

The moisture is coming up from the ground under the house, correct?

Customer:

That is correct.

qwasert :

I think caulking the holes shut with urethane calking is a great option to trap the moisture under the slab and keep the odor and mildew from entering the house.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Over and out. You get an excellent rating.