qwasert, Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber

Gas water heater pilot lot wont stay on. Will light but when

Gas water heater pilot lot won't stay on. Will light but when I release the button it cuts off

qwasert : Hi, Welcome To Just Answer. My name isXXXXX will do my best to help you figure out your problem or the best course of action.
qwasert : How are you doing today?
qwasert : What I recommend doing is first replacing the thermocouple or you can clean it with some sand paper.
Customer: Ok but mother in laws has water heater stopped heating water. It is rheem 40 gallon heater model 41v40s-40
Customer: I will try th sand paper I am on an iPhone. No pc here so responses are slow. Sorry
Customer: Sand outside or try to open opening?
qwasert : Okay here is how you fix it. Turn off the water heater, turn off the gas. Disconnect the 5/8" tube, small copper wire and silver tube from bottom of gas valve. Remove the cover from be water heater and pull the burner assembly out. Find the end of the pilot and sand it it is a small probe on the end of the copper tube. You may want to replace the pilot thermocouple as they are inexpensive. $15-20 at local hardware store.
qwasert : Also there is a YouTube video you can watch to show you how to replace a water heater thermocouple.
Customer: Should I remove the tube from thermostats or try with it attached?
Customer: Sanded outback on but still won't stay lit. Where can I buy a coupling?
Customer: Do they sell them at lowes or is it special for rheem?
John, I switched the format to Q&A this is much easier for use on a smart phone. Let me know if you have any questions or run into trouble removing the pilot thermocouple.
Just checking back with you to see if you have gotten the water to stay lit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - I replaced the Thermo Coupling with one from Lowes for $8 and was able to light the pilot light - thanks for the quick and accurate assessment.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes - Thanks

Great, have a nice day!