Plmqwk
Plmqwk, Master Plumber
Experience:  20+ years in plumbing field. Licensed master plumber, commercial plumbing inspector
47536969

when I flush my toilet water fills the bowl and swirls but

when I flush my toilet water fills the bowl and swirls but the water doesn't go down like it should the bowl fills almost to the top and eventuallythe water will drain out. Do I have an air problem
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I will do my best to fully answer your question(s).

Most likely you just have a partial blockage in the toilet itself. Give it a good plunger workout and see it that takes care of it. If not you should purchase a toilet auger from a home improvement store and rod out (snake) the toilet. If you start to notice other drains not working well then the clog is further down into the drain pipe system and will need the work of a drain cleaning company to fully remove blockage.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So if one toilet was working fine and the other had this problem and eventually both toilets are haveing this problem now this isn't a gravity air problem. So what pulls the water down the drain?

Expert:  Plmqwk replied 2 years ago.

A slow or non-moving drain is almost always caused by a blockage either in the trapway of the fixture or the drainline downstream. Yes the vent can become clogged but that is more rare and would be investigated only after the drainline and trapway are confirmed to be free of obstruction 1st. Cart before the horse scenario.

As for what pulls the water down the drain, well air flow helps that with gravity and pitch but it has to ghave somewhere to go 1st. If piping is plugged all the gravity in the world isnt gonna push it through.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So if this has been going on for a few weeks and if there is a blockage/partial blockage would things eventually backup?

Expert:  Plmqwk replied 2 years ago.
Eventually yes, if the blockage gets severe enough. That answers a question I thought of since my last post. So this has developed recently and hasnt been an issue for say like a year (a real old toilet may act this way if the holes around the rim are clogged up with water deposites). If you have multiple toilets doing this then I recommend getting a professional drain cleaner in before you have a big mess. If it is only in one toilet then I would try the closet (toilet) auger I mentioned in my earlier post first. Very common to have a wad of paper or large bowel movement (sorry to be gross before dinner) stuck in the toilets trapway.
Plmqwk, Master Plumber
Experience: 20+ years in plumbing field. Licensed master plumber, commercial plumbing inspector