Jerry, Plumber
Experience:  over 20 years residential plumbing experience.
34748161

Im having low water pressure in my house. I have well water

Customer Question

I'm having low water pressure in my house. I have well water and a softener system installed for about 6 years. The pressure coming into the house from the pump fluctuates between 94 and 45 lbs (94 when it pumps and will go as low as 45 before it kicks back on). I have pressure going into the pressure tank equal to the pressure coming into the house. From the pressure tank the water goes to a filter with a CSI signature series control valve on top. from there it goes to a second tank (also with a CSI signature series control valve on top.) which also has my brine tank. from there it goes into the house plumbing. The pressure in my house is about 25% of what it is normally. It started to get lower and lower all week and is now to the point that my 2nd floor shower has water dribbling out of it. I have a tech called but they will not come until Monday unless you have NO water. Is there anything I can do to address myself or at least get pressure back for a day or 2 until it can be fixed?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.

Jerry :

Welcome to JA!

Customer:

Hi

Jerry :

Have you ever changed the filter? or do you know how to clean it?

Customer:

I have not changed it but it may have been done in the past during a service call. I do not know how to clean it.

Jerry :

This very much sounds like the filter that the water goes into after the pressure tank is probably a sediment filter. And you may have had a slight event in your well, where a little more than normal sediment has come into the filter.

Jerry :

Or the softner itself could be part of the problem. Do you know how to "by Pass" the softner system?

Customer:

on the 2 tanks with the control vales there are 2 "knobs" that say bypass on them.

Jerry :

Ok. I would need to see a picture to be sure, but if it is part the the actual head of the tank, these can simply be pushed one way to by pass. This would be a simple test to see if you can get normal pressure back.

Customer:

let me take a pic and put it into the chat.... 1 sec

Jerry :

However, my gut feeling is the sediment filter needs changed or at least emptied and cleaned.

Customer:

file://localhost/Users/robfox/Desktop/IMG_1091.JPG

Full Size Image
Full Size Image
file://localhost/Users/robfox/Desktop/IMG_1092.jpg

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

hopefully you can see the setup and the pic of the bypass on the valve control

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:
could i try turning the bypass on the first valve and see if that helps? it would still go through the 2nd filter and the brine tank. Any chance of damaging something else?
Customer:

you there?

Jerry :

sorry my computer didn't give you the last few minutes.

Customer:

no prob...

Customer:

can you see the pic and my questions now?

Jerry :

Yes, you can by pass these without a problem as long as you realize you wont have soft water.

Jerry :

Yes, this is a simple by pass knob.

Jerry :

However, I still feel this is going to be a sediment filter problem, but doing the by pass for a test is worth the effort.

Customer:

that should be fine for a day or 2. can i just turn them or do i need to shut off the water first?

Jerry :

AS long as there is not water running through the system you can turn them.

Jerry :

There is no need to turn off the system.

Customer:

understand....ok....what if there is water running through it? it is making some noise....

Jerry :

Either wait until it is finished, or turn off the water first.

Jerry :
Customer:

can i shut off the ball valve upstream...wait for it to quit running and then flip the knobs?

Customer:

got it....thanks Jerry!

Jerry :

Yes that will work.

Jerry, Plumber
Experience: over 20 years residential plumbing experience.
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, and have a nice weekend!