Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Used Liquid Plumr drain opener in bathroom sink to unclog drain

Customer Question

Used Liquid Plumr drain opener in bathroom sink to unclog drain over a year ago. Had mixed results and unfortunately burned my hands after flushing sink with water. Apparently there was Liquid Plumr residue still in sink. Someone suggested I use a pumice stone to remove residue. It worked well but unfortunately the shavings created more of an obstruction in drain. (If I had known this would happen I would have been careful to remove shavings). Had professional plumber clear drain with snake. This seemed to work well as sink drains without any problem. Unfortunately there is a residual odor of Liquid Plumr whenever I run the water. I've done my best to scrape away the residue of Liquid Plumr within five inches of drain opening and tried flushing sink several times with hot water for as long as twenty minutes but problem remains. Worried that residue further down is causing problem and not sure what to do. Will flushing sink with water eventually take care of problem or is something more drastic required? Also concerned that some shavings of the pumice stone remain in drain and are contributing to problem- i.e., would shavings make it difficult for residue of Liquid Plumr to be completely flushed out?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help with your problem

Rick the plumber :

Since you had the line snaked out the pumice stone is probably mostly gone and shouldn;t be a cause for concern

Rick the plumber :

You could try flushing some lime down the drain to neutralize the liquid plumr.

Rick the plumber :

To do this fill the sink with the hot water then slowly add lime to the water mixing it so it dissolves. Stop adding lime when it no longer dissolves. Then let the water out of the drain. You may have to do this several times

Rick the plumber :

If the odor persists after treating the drain with the neutralizing lime solution you could try dumping one of the commercial odor killers we use down the drain

Rick the plumber :

Odorgone and SweetAir are to brands we use. You should use the liquid version

Rick the plumber :

http://www.odorgone.com/

Customer:

Thanks Rick. Since I'm a renter I'm more inclined to have a professional take care of this. I'm just hoping that there hasn't been any damage done to the drain pipe as a result of the Liquid Plumr being there for such a long time. Wondering if you have any insight on this?

Rick the plumber :

Liquid plumr won't (or shouldn't) harm the pipes.

Rick the plumber :

We use much harsher drain cleaners and they don't harm the pipes

Customer:

Ok, thanks. I feel relieved about that. I'll try to have a professional take care of this. Thanks for your help.

Rick the plumber :

Your welcome