Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor

my water heater pilot light blows out when the wind is from

Customer Question

my water heater pilot light blows out when the wind is from the northwest, I have extende the exhaust 4 ft. bu it stil goes out.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Marc replied 4 years ago.

Marc the plumber : Hello and thank you for using I will assist you today with your question to the best of my ability.
Marc the plumber : What brand and model water heater do you have? This is more common in a side wall/through the wall vent unit. Especially if installed in an alcove area.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not get an answer after I sent the brand name and style.
Expert:  Marc replied 4 years ago.
Im sorry I don't see a brand and model
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
model 12GR40 Richmond
Expert:  Marc replied 4 years ago.
So this is a Richmond gas water heater. How do you have this unit vented? Is it in a chimney or sidewall vent or up through the roof? With this particular unit the only correct venting procedure is through the chimney.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is vented through a chimney
Expert:  Marc replied 4 years ago.
Now you say you have extended the exhaust 4 feet? The exhaust must be a minimum of 2 feet above the highest point of your roofline this will prevent what is currently occurring with a high downdraft. You're only other option is to bring the pilot light pressure up and make the pilot flame larger this is done at the gas valve and should be done by a qualified gas technician.