Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My kitchen faucet has very low water pressure (both hot and

My kitchen faucet has very low water pressure (both hot and cold). I have tried cleaning the aereator, but it didn't help. I have had my whole water system checked for problems and the pressure is fine everywhere else. So, I can only assume that it is the faucet. It was installed in 2/10. Any ideas?

Joan Humphrey XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help with your problem

Rick the plumber :

What type of faucet is it? does it have a pullout spray or a conventional spout?

Rick the plumber :

Is it a single lever faucet or does it have 2 handles? Do you know the brand and model?

Customer:

It is a conventional spout, single level kitchen faucet. I will get the brand and model - just give me a minute.

Rick the plumber :

Ok. does it have a side spray?

Customer:

So far, I have determinted that it is a Kohler - still checking for model #.

Customer:

It has a separate spray located on the sink top. The pressure in the sprayer is normal.

Rick the plumber :

The model number would help but it sounds like the diverter in the faucet is stuck. The diverter is what diverts the water so it comes out of the sprayer and not the spout

Rick the plumber :

I'd need a model to give you specifics on how to repair it

Rick the plumber :

I can only give you general instructions without the model

Customer:

Still looking for the model # XXXXX my records. Could it be on the faucet somewhere? This is all new to me. My husband was the handy one but he passed away last year. This is on-the-job training for me. However, the faucet was professionally installed when we had the counter top replaced.

Rick the plumber :

I'm sorry but it's not on the faucet anywhere. If you've never taken a faucet apart before you might want to have a plumber fix this for you.

Customer:

I realized that. I just needed to know if there was an easy fix first before calling a plumber to find out that it is just something simple. What about the diverter? What is involved in checking that myself?

Rick the plumber :

You can't check it without taking the faucet apart. It's an easy fix for a plumber but he may need to chase for the part. If you can figure out the model number then you can tell the plumber and he can pick it up on the way if he doesn't have that one on his truck saving you some time and money. You might be able to pick out your faucet if you go to the Kohler website

Customer:

Just came across the model number (K-15076-P-0) Coralais collection.

Rick the plumber :

OK, that's a common Kohler faucet. The plumber may have the part on his truck or do you want to take a crack at this yourself?

Rick the plumber :

Sometimes a first timer will cause more damage resulting ultimately in a higher bill from the plumber

Customer:

I don't think I'm capable of taking the faucet apart if that is what is needed.

Rick the plumber :

Yes the faucet has to be taken apart to get to the diverter

Rick the plumber :

But now at least you know what the likely problem is

Customer:

Oh well - I thought I give this a shot first - thanks for your help.

Rick the plumber :

You're welcome

Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.