Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago
31194769

my kenmore water softener has filled the salt tank with water

my kenmore water softener has filled the salt tank with water it is about six inches over the top of the salt pellets i ran it through a few cycles the water in the house seems like it is softened however i have never seen that high water level in the tank
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 2 years ago.

Plumbing Pro : Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional ability.You can respond by typing in the box.
Customer:

ready to go

Plumbing Pro : Sounds like the float in the brine tank was stuck a little then finally closed and that's where the extra water came from . You should have about 3-5 gallons of water in it at all times . I recommend using some iron out and do a manual cycle . Water softerners have a life span of 10 years and even less depending on water quality and water usage . After that they are not worth rebuilding or fixing and only replacement .
Customer:

the softener is only about 5 years old i do have hard water but its municipal water what is iron out also is the float accessible?

Plumbing Pro : Inside the brine tank where the salt and water is , you need to remove this salt and water then clean inside the tank well . The float should be in the corner inside of a tube looking thing . If you can bring it outside and use a garden hose . Iron out is something made that you add in with the salt , it helps clean the softener and helps remove built up iron .
Plumbing Pro : Iron out can be bought as a powder you add with the salt or salt pellets that have it in them already .
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience: Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.