Theplumber717
Theplumber717, Plumber, Hvac Tech
Experience:  Lic Plumbing contractor, 28/yrs res,com,repair,Universal HVAC Tech
63005973

Hi, The faucet in my kitchen has low water pressure, but only

The faucet in my kitchen has low water pressure, but only on the hot water -- any advice? Everything else works just fine...
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Theplumber717 replied 2 years ago.

GARY C :

Hi my name isXXXXX will do my best to help solve your problem

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have any ideas?

GARY C :

Is this a one handle or two handle faucet? and what type of water pipe do you have copper, galvanized steel, plastic, or pex?

Customer:

It's a one-handle. What's under the sink is plastic pipe.

GARY C :

Ok you either have a clogged shut off valve under the sink, the hot water shut off, or you have a clogged supply line on the hot water, or the cartridge to the faucet is clogged

GARY C :

The easiest way to check is to shut the valve to the hot water under the sink

GARY C :

Take the supply line loos where it connects to the faucet

GARY C :

take a bucket and place the hose in it

GARY C :

turn the shut off to the hot water back on and let the water go in the bucket

GARY C :

see if you have good pressure

GARY C :

if you do its in the faucet and the faucet will have to be taken apart and at least flush maybe the cartridge replaced

GARY C :

If you do not have pressure with the bucket test, you need to remove the flex supply line

GARY C :

and do the bucket test without it

GARY C :

if you have good pressure then just replace the supply line they are around $7

Customer:

I tied to shut it, but nothing happens, still have a slow flow when shut off?

GARY C :

Then then valve is defective and has something stuck in it

GARY C :

replacing the shutoff valve will most likely fix your pressure problem

Customer:

You mean the shut-off valve? Can I take that apart myself?

GARY C :

If your handy yes

Customer:

Pretty handyt, but it is difficult?

GARY C :

you will need a new one to replace it

GARY C :

if its plastic cpvc pipe you can buy a cutter and a glue on valve and glue for $25

GARY C :

or less

GARY C :

no sense its cpvc its fairly easy

Customer:

It's copper pipe to the valve, then the valve, then plastic pipe. Below the copper pipe is another valve, connects to the dishwasher. Just tried shutting that one, same result -- low pressure but some water comes out. The pipe that connects to the dishwasher is a metally snaky cord-thingy. Is that the valve I should replace then, doing the bucket-thing first?

GARY C :

if the dishwasher is working fine do not worry about that one just open it back up, you need to take the hose or plastic supply line off of the highest valve (usually) that go's to the kitchen sink to do the bucket test. but its going to be tough if you can not get it to shut off all the way because it will make a mess plus the water will be in your face while your working on it. This will really take two people. First shut off the main water valve to the house

GARY C :

Then take the supply line loose from the kitchen faucet hot (so the supply line is still connected to the shut off valve but not the faucet)

GARY C :

You will have to have the other person at the main shut off valve while you have the supply line in the bucket

GARY C :

Then you will have to yell to them to turn the main shut off valve on while you flush the line a check the pressure

GARY C :

then you will have to yell to them to shut it off before the bucket is full

GARY C :

if still low pressure you will have to remove the supply line and check the shut off valve by itself

GARY C :

if still low pressure the valve is bad or has something washed up behind it

GARY C :

so it will have to be removed and should be replaced

GARY C :

If yoou had good pressure with the supply line connected with the bucket test its in the faucet and the faucet will have to be taken apart

GARY C :

and flushed or maybe the cartdridge replaced

GARY C :

if something is stuck in the cartridge and you can not get it to flush out

GARY C :

Sense you have copper pipe, its going to be one of those things

GARY C :

It should not be in the pipe itself (i mean the copper)

GARY C :

Do you understand, or do you have more questions?

Customer:

Think I get it, can you confirm --

GARY C :

Your looking from the valve up to the faucet, for the problem

Customer:

Start from the top, disconnect the plastic to faucet, if still not pressure check valve and then faucet. This is helpful.

GARY C :

Yes thats how you should check it

Customer:

Why can't I shut it off completely though, from the bottom valve that connects to the dishwasher?

GARY C :

eliminate the few parts it could be

GARY C :

When valves get old they do this

Customer:

But shouldn't that one shut thte supply off?

GARY C :

thats why they sell 1/4" turn valves now

GARY C :

with a ball in them instead of a washer

Customer:

OK so maybe I want to replace that one too...

GARY C :

I would i get the new 1/4" shut off valves and you will not have the same problem down the line

GARY C :

its a big step forward

Customer:

Thanks Gary this was helpful!!!

Theplumber717, Plumber, Hvac Tech
Experience: Lic Plumbing contractor, 28/yrs res,com,repair,Universal HVAC Tech
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gary, thanks for your answer! The supply line was clogged exactly where you said it would be, and it took us 5 minutes to fix. I will email you next time I have a problem!!!
Thats good news! thanks for keeping me updated, Gary