Theplumber717
Theplumber717, Plumber, Hvac Tech
Experience:  Lic Plumbing contractor, 28/yrs res,com,repair,Universal HVAC Tech
63005973

Im getting sewage smell coming from my sump pump an I have

I'm getting sewage smell coming from my sump pump an I have cleaned it with bleach an it comes back about a day later.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Theplumber717 replied 2 years ago.

GARY C :

Hi my name isXXXXX will do my best to help solve your problem

GARY C :

Is this actually a sump pump? (for ground water) or is this actually a sewage pit?

Customer: T is the sump
Customer: Dont have a sewage pit
GARY C :

If this is a sump, the only may have a sewage smell, would maybe stagnant water, sitting in the sump basin, Your idea with bleach would be a good approach, you may wan t to take a shop vac and suck the pit dry, then fill the basin with water again and add some bleach. If you still have the problem i would suggest using a sealed lid (cover for the pit)

Customer: I have a seal on it
GARY C :

you have a lid? or a sealed lid? a sump pump usually has a u cut in it for the discharge pipe which would not be sealed

GARY C :

If it has bolts on it its probably a seweage pit

Customer: Could I have a break in the sewer line
GARY C :

and there is a gasket that is supposed to be between the lid and the pit to seal it

GARY C :

If it is a bolt down (sealed lid) the gasket is not there, or the gasket is bad

Customer: It's a lid
GARY C :

You can fix this by using silicon on the bolts and the rim of the lid

GARY C :

It sounds like this is a sewage ejector pit and the seal is not there or is bad thats why you have the smell, seal the bolts and the rim with silicon

GARY C :

Also where the discharge pipe leaves the pit lid, and where the power cord leaves as well

GARY C :

any break in this will cause the sewer mell

GARY C :

smell

Customer: Is it used as a sump to cause it takes the ground water out
GARY C :

No matter what you have a sump or sewage pit you say it has a sealed lid, There has to be a bad gasket if is truly a sealed lid (no holes where you can look into the pit without un bolting the lid) then you just need to caulk the rim, bolt holes, and pipe's with 100% silicoln

GARY C :

Do you have a sewer pipe in your basement that go's out the sidewall about chest levl? or at least above the basement floor? im talking about the sewer not your sump pump?

Customer: I'm sorry I was wrong it's just a black plastic lid
GARY C :

with a u cut out around the discharge pipe? meaning you can look into the pit throught the u without removing the lidd

GARY C :

and the lid you can just pull off, its not bolted down?

Customer: Ya
GARY C :

ok your right its just a sump pit

GARY C :

again you should not have any sewer smell, i would first shop vac the pit out, then add some water with a hose again and add bleach

GARY C :

Then if you still have the smell maybe add a sealed lid with a gasket or silicon

Customer: Done that an the small just comes back in about a day
GARY C :

You should not have sewer gas so yes it is possible you have a sewer break and its going into the foundations draining system

GARY C :

which ends up in your sump (and thats the smell)

GARY C :

If everything is flushing good (plumbing) i would just seal the lid, I have not seen a sewer break result in what your describing (but that does not mean thats not where its coming from)

Customer: So I'm going to be writing a big check to get it fixed
Customer: So I should seal it first
GARY C :

Try what i suggested, but if it ends up down the line that it is a sewer break, you looking at a tractor digging up your yard (would have to be just outside the foundation wall or it would not end up in the sump) probably a $1000-$2000 job

GARY C :

I would think you would see backups if that was the case

GARY C :

seal it first

Customer: Ok I will try sealing it first
GARY C :

If the line has collapsed you should have backups, just make sure you seal the lid first, if you have backups from the sewer i would suspect a pipe breakage or collapse

Customer: That is what I thought that it was right out side the wall
GARY C :

Good luck please hit accept, and leave feedback, thanks Gary after accepting just reply to this up to 30 days and you will not be charged again for the same problem

Customer: That is what I thought that it was right out side the wall
Customer: Ty
Theplumber717, Plumber, Hvac Tech
Experience: Lic Plumbing contractor, 28/yrs res,com,repair,Universal HVAC Tech
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
If you do not have anymore questions please hit accept, Thanks Gary