Theplumber717
Theplumber717, Plumber, Hvac Tech
Experience:  Lic Plumbing contractor, 28/yrs res,com,repair,Universal HVAC Tech
63005973

I have dirty water coming out of all hot water faucets. My

Customer Question

I have dirty water coming out of all hot water faucets. My gas hot water heater was installed in 2009. What should I do?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Theplumber717 replied 2 years ago.

GARY C :

Hi my name is Gary, I will do my best to help solve your problem

GARY C :

Are you on city water?

Customer :

Hi Gary,

Customer :

Yes

GARY C :

Hi there are

GARY C :

Most likely cause is there was a water main break or repair up stream of you and it will clear up in less then 24 hours

GARY C :

or they are flushing the water hydrants which will cause the same thing

GARY C :

and that to will clear up

Customer :

None of my neighbors are having this problem and it is only the hot water

GARY C :

Is it rusty looking or more like black sludge and or black pieces

Customer :

rusty looking

GARY C :

and does it smell

Customer :

no

GARY C :

have you had any work done lately on your water system?

Customer :

no

GARY C :

what type of water piping do you have? Galvanized steel(grey metal) copper, or plastic?

Customer :

I'm not sure...I know it is not copper

GARY C :

Its probably galvanized steel which is the only material that would cause this

GARY C :

Its only on the hot water

Customer :

yes

GARY C :

If you have galvanized steel this piping it corrodes, and you are probably seeing some of this in the water, the only solution is to replace the piping, with a more up to date material such as copper or plastic

GARY C :

This is one of the reasons we do not use this material anymore

GARY C :

how old is your house?

Customer :

12 years old

Customer :

I would think if it is the pipes it would be dirty in hot and cold

GARY C :

Then you have copper or plastic cpvc, or pex. Your house is to new to have galvanized steel and thats not the problem

GARY C :

When you say dirty? fill a glass of water and what color is it and see if you can see any type of material or debris in the water and describe it

GARY C :

It seems you are offline let me know the result and we can go from there Thanks Gary

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Look on top of your water heater and see if they installed black iron pipe nipples on the hot and cold feeds from the water heater. If they did this could be your problem as black iron pipe should not be used because they corrode and rust which would show up as dirty water only on the hot water side of the house.