Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.
Experience:  Retired mech. contractor, shop owner, 51 yrs experience.
23932409

No running water in house. We have a well. There appears

Customer Question

No running water in house. We have a well. There appears to be electricity getting to the closet in which we have the water tank, filter, etc.

Need you well pump?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.

Phil :

All work to be permitted and inspected. WE KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU HAVE THE INFORMATION YOU NEED. I come and go. Be patient. This is step One.

Phil :

Hello

Phil :

The plumber could be right. we can check it however.

Phil :

Stand next to the pump and tell me if its running or not, and if its cycling on and off or not.

Phil :

Tell me what the pressure gage near the pump reads.

Phil :

Confirm that is still no water flow into the house if thats the case.

Phil :

If there is no flow, it could be a bad pump or a bad foot valve or check valve.

Phil :

Tell me how deep the well is

Phil :

We can go from there

Phil :

Phil

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

just reading what you wrote.

Customer:

We have a 40/60 Pressure switch and we are at 0 pressure. Of course no water came out of the pipe when I turned it on.

Customer:

Not sure on the depth of the Well.

Customer:

80' depth for well

Phil :

Thats a deep well, the pump has likely lost is prime due to a bad foot valve or other check valve in the system... that would be the case if the pump itself is good.... or the pump could be bad.

Phil :

Tell me if the pump is down inside the well or not, and all you see on top is the tank and a well head, with wires running down the well head.

Phil :

If you have a clamp on amp meter, we can check the pump from the top to some degree...those are $60 at a big box type home improvement store.

Customer:

I've never opened the top of that pipe going into the ground. It's 6" in diameter. Will I actually be able to see anything if I open that up?

Phil :

don't open it

Customer:

oh ok.

Customer:

I've got a multi-meter

Phil :

so far it sounds like a submersible pump.. at the far end of an 80' long pipe, down the well.

Customer:

Yes, the service guy was talking about pulling it out of the ground.

Phil :

if you do not see a pump near the well head, its a submersible pump

Phil :

a big jog

Phil :

job

Phil :

I will attach some diagrams

Customer:

He did take an ohm meter reading and said he didn't like what he saw. I don't remember the number, but it didn't sound good to me either.

Customer:

thanks for the diagrams... I see the link

Phil :

The only reads he would get on an ohm meter that one would not like is shorted to ground (burned out pump motor) or no ohms read at all... bad motor.

Phil :

Here are some video's of what is involved in replacing the pump

Phil :

Here are some video's on removing the pump

Customer:

great.... thankis.

Phil, Mechanical Engineer.
Experience: Retired mech. contractor, shop owner, 51 yrs experience.