Theplumber717
Theplumber717, Plumber, Hvac Tech
Experience:  Lic Plumbing contractor, 27/yrs res,com,repair,Universal HVAC Tech

I have a slow Flushing toilet. I checked the septic tank it

I have a slow Flushing toilet.
I checked the septic tank it was ok but had it pumped anyway.
I used a sewer snake from the septic tank toward the house,aprox 25' twisted it around and brought back nothing, no paper nothing.
Flushed the toilet and watched pipe into septic, flow looked ok, it did not dribble, about like a garden hose half on.
I pulled the toilet, drained the water, looked underneath see nothing.
Used sewer snake from toilet to septic, seen snake in septic pipe, it pushed very easy, and nothing on the end.
Put everything back together and still no luck.
Tonight checked vent pipe from roof, clear and clean.
Went to crawl space looking for leaks along sewer main line, none.
I have used Hot water 2gal bucket and flushed with toilet paper in it and it goes but very slow.
What Now?

Mickey
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Theplumber717 replied 2 years ago.

thePLUMBER :

Hi my name isXXXXX will do my best to help solve your problem

Customer:

ok

thePLUMBER :

Is this the only fixture in the house thats slow?

thePLUMBER :

just the toilet?

Customer:

yes

thePLUMBER :

Sounds like you have something stuck in the trap of the toilet, You will need to use a closet auger to clear it

thePLUMBER :

Customer:

I have and it goes all the way with little ristance\

thePLUMBER :

How many times did you do it? and did you push it clear through?

thePLUMBER :

to the end of the handle

Customer:

3 or 4 times and yes it all went in and then I pulled it out in that same, with handle all the way down, I done see anything on the end

Customer:

I got pretty agressive with it tonight.

thePLUMBER :

Do you have a tub or shower in this bathroom?

Customer:

tub with shower

thePLUMBER :

and its not slow? or you dont have any water coming up in it/

Customer:

no not any slower than normal. the tub drain is before the toilet.

Customer:

the toilet is the last thing on the line then to the septic.

thePLUMBER :

Does the toilet water in the bowel actually rise a little when you flush it?

Customer:

washer, kitchen sink, dishwasher, bathroom sink and tub drain ok,

Customer:

yes I have dumped a 2 gallon of hot tap water down it, and flushes same time and it does the same slow to drain

Customer:

Had my wife do the same thing with toilet paper in it and I watched the septic pipe, water out paper out.

Customer:

but slow, very slow

thePLUMBER :

So its flushing then, when you say slow, how do you mean? does the water in the bowl come up to the point you think its going to overflow?

thePLUMBER :

Or just poor flush

Customer:

it had never overflowed...... you can watch the paper come apart and then go away like watching grass grow.

Customer:

some times it wont even flush the paper, it still there but will go away after 2nd flush. just paper nothing else

thePLUMBER :

have you checked the jets under the rim of the toilet? and cleared them with a hanger or wire? They can be plugged after time with scale?

Customer:

it is a new toilet 3 years old, but if I dump a bucket of water in it it should flush right?

Customer:

I have check the vent pipe from the roof and can see all the way to the bottom.

thePLUMBER :

Yes it should, It wont have the swirl because the jets are not being used under the rim

Customer:

I put paper in it and then used a bucket of water, then flushed at the same time, paper stayed for a little bit and then slowly disapeared

thePLUMBER :

Even with a closet auger a few times Ive had to pull the toilet and turn it upside down and run a garden hose thru it because something was still stuck in the toilet trap, and out popped (one time nail polish, another a rubber ball)

thePLUMBER :

Did you see what i just typed

Customer:

yes,,

thePLUMBER :

sometimes a closet auger will not even get it, there may still be something in the trap

Customer:

I did pull it, but may I missed something,

thePLUMBER :

Ive even broke one with a hammer once in order to retrieve something stuck in there i couldnt get out either way (i think that was the rubber ball)

thePLUMBER :

You need to flip it over and first use a garden hose to try and flush it out the way it came in

Customer:

only me and my wife lives here so I have know idea what it could be.

Customer:

I guess a new toilet?

thePLUMBER :

Do you keep stuff on the bac off the toilet or sink top next to it

thePLUMBER :

If you cant get it after flipping it, and flushing backwards yes i would say a new toilet

Customer:

cabinet above it, I have retrieved a item or two from it but we are both in our 60s......so she would tell me if she dropped something.

Customer:

nothing on the tank is stored.

thePLUMBER :

Usually most people do not even realize something dropped in there that's how it gets flushed

Customer:

possible!

Customer:

ok Ill attack the toilet. maybe Ill have to drop it!

thePLUMBER :

Thats why i hit the one with the hammer after trying to get it out then replaceing it i just had to know what was in there

Customer:

I am about getting there.... because dumping water in it it should flush good.

thePLUMBER :

Yep

Customer:

so it has to be toilet. Right?

thePLUMBER :

If you snaked the line good when the toilet was off then yes

Customer:

yes..... it went easy and I see it come out the sewer pipe to the septic. no paper no nothing

thePLUMBER :

I would try flipping it first and running water through it backwards you might be surprised what pops out

Customer:

I have run the sewer snake in from the septic and gave it several good twist and nothing

thePLUMBER :

somethings will go in but will not go all the way through

thePLUMBER :

only way sometimes is to get it out the way it went in

Customer:

ok will pull it tomorrow and if not..... im off to menards.

thePLUMBER :

Well i wish you luck, Thanks please hit accept and have a great night thanks GARY

Theplumber717, Plumber, Hvac Tech
Experience: Lic Plumbing contractor, 27/yrs res,com,repair,Universal HVAC Tech