Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

how do you replace the bladder on flotec fp7130-08 water pressure

how do you replace the bladder on flotec fp7130-08 water pressure tank?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help with your problem

Rick the plumber :

Just replace the tank.

Rick the plumber :

If you want to replace the bladder there are 6 nuts on the bottom of the tank holding the cover flange in place. Remove the nuts, remove the flange, pull the old bladder out

Rick the plumber :

and carefully insert the new one after reattaching it to the flange

Rick the plumber :

be sure the air and water pressure are relieved before removing the cover flange

Customer:

My tank is only 1.5 years old, I suspect the bladder not functioning properly. I want to avoid buying a new tank. Is it a viable option to replace the bladder. I have never done it before.

Rick the plumber :

Why do you think the bladder has failed? This would be very unusual in a tank this new.

Customer:

I drained the tank and checked the pressure....there was no pressure....should have been 28psi because I have 30-50 pressure switch.

Rick the plumber :

Does your pump short cycle?

Rick the plumber :

Have you tried to recharge the tank?

Customer:

Yes. When no water is being used, pump will cycle about every 5 minutes.....when water is being used, pump cycles faster

Rick the plumber :

The pump should not run once it's up to pressure and no water is being used, but what you describe when water is being used sounds like short cycling

Customer:

Do you suggest I try charging tank....to be sure?....drain tank pressure tank with air compressor to 28 psi, right?

Rick the plumber :

Yes try recharging the tank, yes take the pressure off before charging

Customer:

If bladder is ruptured, what will happen?

Rick the plumber :

if you mean when you recharge, nothing is likely to happen if you have the main stop turned off

Rick the plumber :

the tank should hold the pressure but it will dissipate fairly quickly and go back to short cycling

Customer:

OK...so...if I recharge, and then pump goes back to short cycling, then I conclude that bladder is ruptured?

Rick the plumber :

yes

Rick the plumber :

I don't have a copy of the warranty in front of me but most of these tank are warranted for 5 years

Customer:

Ok....if bladder is ruptured....best solution is.....replace bladder?....or...replace tank?....

Rick the plumber :

I would replace the tank with a Welltrol by Amtrol if you can't get some warranty relief

Customer:

Welltrol.....ok....my tank size is 85 gallon pre-charged.....I run just my house (9 fixtures), but also run my lawn sprinklers.....should I stick with this size?

Rick the plumber :

Yes

Rick the plumber :

The models aren't necessarily obviously interchangeable so consult with you plumbing supply house for the appropriate Welltrol model

Customer:

Thank you.....I will try tank recharge....if pump short cycles still, I will replace tank.

Rick the plumber :

Check out warranty options since a tank of this size is not cheap

Rick the plumber :

Please hit accept

Thanks for using Just Answer