Ask Jerry's Advanced Plumbing Your O...
Jerry's Advanced Plumbing
Jerry's Advanced Plumbing, Plumber
Experience:  I have 24 years plumbing experience to help you with all your plumbing needs

What size should the drain and vent pipe be. How to determine

Customer Question

What size should the drain and vent pipe be. How to determine when to use two vent pipe. Can the vent pipe be installed on the outside of house instead of through the roof. What is a good book...
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Jerry's Advanced Plumbing replied 4 years ago.
Hello more information are you piping a house in or work for school give me details and I can help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am plumbing my rental house. My first time. I am a licensed electrician so i been around construction .
Wow you have a lot to learn ok for a start if you have 3 toilets the waste main must be 3 inch if 4 when you tie the 4th toilet in the main must go to 4 inch as for vents you can use a wet loop which means everything vents of lavatory vent so withing a few feet of toilet you branch off to a 2 inch pipe catch the tub drain the arm reaching to the tub if in 1 1/2 pipe can only be 5 feet long so it will vent on 1/4 grade then continue on to lavatory at 1/4 per foot grade turn up at lavatory place tee at 17 inches of finished floor to stub drain out wall then 1 1/2 vent out to vent can be outside but cannot lay horizontal till it reaches 33 inches above finished floor.So you can see waste piping is very complicated.