Theplumber717
Theplumber717, Plumber, Hvac Tech
Experience:  Lic Plumbing contractor, 28/yrs res,com,repair,Universal HVAC Tech
63005973

Why does water keep flowing out of my clean out drain? Ive

Why does water keep flowing out of my clean out drain? I've run a sewer auger through it.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Theplumber717 replied 2 years ago.

theplumber717 :

Hi my name isXXXXX will do my best to help solve your problem

theplumber717 :

If you have water running from your clean out even though you have run a sewer snake down it, it still means your line is stopped up and the stoppage was not open up or you did not run the snake far enough, If you are a septic system your septic could be full

Customer:

Hi Gary, I'm Steven. I ran about 100 ft of sewer snake (all that was in the drum) down my main line from my cleanout (in my driveway) (city). It still has water running out of it (fresh, from my washing machine). I've been trying to clear a recurring clog from my toilet (old house).

theplumber717 :

Ok how far is it to the street?

theplumber717 :

And the cleanout thats leaking is this where you snaked from?

theplumber717 :

also is this a floor cleanout? or on a riser? and what size is the line?

theplumber717 :

ok i just read you used the cleanout in your driveway (sorry i missed that) the clog is in the house

Customer:

The drain heads toward the back of the house (alley). Cleanout is about 3 inches wide (61/2 opening).

theplumber717 :

You need to go from a cleanout in your house, if you do not have one pull a toilet and go from there, the clog is in the house

Customer:

Been trying to get a recurring clog on toilet, would that cause it?

theplumber717 :

Is it just the toilet?

Customer:

Yes (1 bathroom, tub & sink act fine)

Customer:

Would the water go around the clog and still come out the clean out? This house has 1 drain line.

theplumber717 :

it could be in the line of the toilet you should have a few feet of line before your tub and your sink tie into the same line as the toilet, if so you would only notice the stoppage in the toilet, since the other working fixtures would tie in down stream of the clog, if this is the case you should pull the toilet(you should do this anyway if no cleanout in the house) and run your snake out the 100' and this will take care of it, It also could be in the toilet trap itself(maybe something you do not know about has fallen in the toilet and is stuck in the trap) If this is the case you would need to get a closet auger and clean the toilets internal trap

theplumber717 :

The clean out that's leaking is this the one in your driveway your cleaning from?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

have tried putting a smaller snake down tiolet and it stops like it ran into a wall.

theplumber717 :

ok then you have a clog from the clean out to the street, you just didn't go far enough, or simply knocked a hole in the clog and when you pulled the rod out it closed up again, which means you need to clean it again from same clean out, sometimes it takes a few times

theplumber717 :

You need a closet auger for the toilet not a regular snake it will not go and it will scratch the toilet, you can get a closet auger at home stores for around $25

theplumber717 :

theplumber717 :

theplumber717 :

You just insert the auger all the way in the outlet of the toilet with the snake pulled all the way out, Then turn the handle clockwise while you push the snake through the trap, pull it all the way out and repeat this about 3 or 4 times, Most of the time if theres something stuck in the trap this will push it through

theplumber717 :

on rare instances you will have to pull the toilet and turn it upside down running a garden hose through it to wash whatever is stuck out the same way it went in, i have found rubber balls, toys, finger nail polish, you name it stuck in a toilet

theplumber717 :

usually the closet auger will get it though

theplumber717 :

You still here?

Customer:

Yes, talking with wife

theplumber717 :

ok

Customer:

Thanks for the info. will probanly get items for doing toilet & a closet auger tomorrow.

theplumber717 :

No problem, please hit accept, and good luck Thanks gary

Customer:

Can I print this now or will it give me th e chance later?

theplumber717 :

not sure, but if you bookmark it it will save it

Theplumber717, Plumber, Hvac Tech
Experience: Lic Plumbing contractor, 28/yrs res,com,repair,Universal HVAC Tech