WTRHTRPRO
WTRHTRPRO, Water Heater Expert
Experience:  15 yrs in the water heating and plumbing industry.
61943388

wind blowing pilot light on my waterheater

Customer Question

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I will do my best to fully answer your question(s).

Where is it located, basement or an enclosed room like a closet? Where is the chimney located, wall or roof? Does the chimney have a chimney cap on it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
closet roof yes
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 4 years ago.
see what happens to the pilot when you leave the door of closet open. this should reduce the "vacuum" effect to the chimney on extremely windy conditions. To eliminate the issue long term a louvered opening similar to a heating vent may need to be installed to the door or wall of the closet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it goes out with door open,it goes out while im trying to light it
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 4 years ago.
May be more than a wind issue then. You may need a new thermocouple installed. yes the wind may be a factor to a point but if the thermocouple is faulty it wont want to stay lit either.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
already did that twice
Expert:  Plmqwk replied 4 years ago.

Have you tried to block the wind in some way where it exits the chimney? If not then try that. Other than that you may need a new gas valve. The fact that you have a thermocouple indicates an older heater to begin with. There have been windy days in previous years so since the wind seems to not be the issue the only thing left is the gas valve itself. You may want to consider a new heater if thats the case, replacing gas valves are expensive.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i hav also repleced gas valve
Expert:  WTRHTRPRO replied 4 years ago.
What model water heater do you have and what is the date of manufacture or the first 8 characters of the serial number?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
rheem ser#rhhg1104107801 date of manf.11/2004
Expert:  WTRHTRPRO replied 4 years ago.
OK, not sure what Model you have, you gave me the serial number which confirms a Natural Gas unit made in 2004. The Model number is listed right next to the Serial number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry model #22140sdvx
Expert:  WTRHTRPRO replied 4 years ago.
OK, that is the concentric direct vent manufactured home version, what fuel type are you on LP or Natural? Usually what causes pilot outage on those is that the venting is not sealed. There are silicon bands that cover each joint of the vent sections, make sure those are in place. Also make sure the inner door is in place and seated well.

When the pilot is lit, how does it appear? It should be like a bic lighter on a pretty low setting, also does the pilot have a cone shield on the end of it?