Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor

Bradford White 50 gal, 4500 watt, elec. water heater, model

Bradford White 50 gal, 4500 watt, elec. water heater, model M250S6DS5, works great. Periodically, with both thermostats set to the lowest setting, "hot", the temperature is consistent. Then arbitrarily, the water temperature will go to scalding. It may sustain that for a day or two and pop the re-set. After re-setting the upper thermostat (the only one with a button), it will usually go back to normal temperatures and last a month or two, then go through this whole cycle again. Which thermostat is faulty, the upper or lower, and how do I tell by using a meter? Is changing the thermostat something that I can do?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.

Marc the plumber :

Hello and thank you for using JA.com. I will assist you today with your question. Please accept the answer upon completion of the Q&A process.

Customer:

Hi, and thanks.

Marc the plumber :

it is very difficult to tell which thermostat is faulty, there is no great way to tell which one is sticking on without metering for an entire cycle and catching it in the act of a fault.

Marc the plumber :

hello and your welcome~!

Marc the plumber :

I typically recommend changing both upper and lower at the same time

Marc the plumber :

the cost in minimal, and it is a very easy replacement

Customer:

That is what I thought-why not avoid this again in the near future.

Marc the plumber :

I recommend always changing them wire for wire as to not confuse which goes where.

Marc the plumber :

agreed. I never just change one. for $13-17 each it is a cheap fix!

Customer:

Is there any need in replacing the heating elements at the same time?

Marc the plumber :

not unless you have a lack of hot water....by the sounds, on occasion you have too much! haha. you can replace them if you wish while you are at it, but I do not feel it is necessary

Customer:

That's what I needed to know. You have been a great help, thanks.

Marc the plumber :

my one recommendation....while the power is off, it is never a bad preventative maintenance method to drain and flush the tank

Customer:

I had planned on that. Thanks

Marc the plumber :

but remember to never turn the power back on until the water has been run through the faucets and all the air is removed!

Customer:

Thanks for the reminder.

Marc the plumber :

Your very welcome, good luck with the repair, if you need any further information I am typically always available, feel free to come back and ask any other questions you may have.

Customer:

Thanks Marc.

Marc the plumber :

have a great day and remember to please click on the accept button when you are completed!

Marc, Plumber
Experience: Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor