Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a Hansgrohe mixing valve that is not letting enough

I have a Hansgrohe mixing valve that is not letting enough hot water in. I noticed it this fall when it started getting colder and I needed a hotter shower.

My shower is set up that one handle turns on water and another handle for the mixing valve controls the temp. When I turn on the water I can feel the hot water side of valve getting adequately hot. The temp handle moves 270 degrees, and when I turn it all the way cold, it gets cold but not full cold. When I turn it all way hot it gets almost warm enough for comfortable shower.

Do I need to install new cartridge? or can I adjust on the valve how much hot water is let in. On the hot side and cold side there is a nickel sized screw head that has a lock waher on it. Can that be adjusted?

Thanks, Steve

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rick the plumber :

It sounds like you probably need a new cartridge. Those screw heads are stops to turn the water off to service the valve not adjust it

Rick the plumber :

It's possible the hot side may be partially closed but since you say it worked at one time I doubt this is the case

Customer:

Do I need to turn off water service to remove the cartridge? Or will just having the shower supplys off work?

Rick the plumber :

the screw driver stops you mention should shut the valve off

Rick the plumber :

not sure what you mean by the shower supplies

Rick the plumber :

do you mean there are isolating valves on the water lines to this device?

Customer:

no, I just meant turn off the handle that turns on shower. The cartridge screws in right? Left loose right tight?

Rick the plumber :

No the handle that turns on the shower is just a diverter the control valve is fed first

Rick the plumber :

the cartridge will most likely be held in place by a hex shaped bonnet nut. They typically just slide in and out

Rick the plumber :

about those screwdriver slots

Rick the plumber :

does the slot turn easily or is it more like a cap with a slot in it

Rick the plumber :

if it turns easily then it's probably an integral stop for servicing the valve

Rick the plumber :

if they don't turn easily it's probably an access cap for a check valve

Rick the plumber :

before you try to dismantle the cartridge be sure to open the valve to be sure the water is off

Customer:

they do not turn easliy in either direction. they look like a nickel with a slot in it thats inset and has a lock washer on the outside that looks like you pinch it in to remove washer.

Customer:

I think on the mixing side there is a check valve, at least thats what I think from searing the net for answers

Rick the plumber :

Depends on the model of the valve. If the slot don't turn easily then you'll probably have to shut the whole house off. You model may have a separate pressure balancing piston which could also be the cause of the problem. Do you have a model number for the valve?

Customer:

there is a sticker on the valve body that was under the chrome sleeve that fits under the handle, there are two numbers. 13373181 and 08890093 I googled both numbers with no luck.

Rick the plumber :

those aren't model numbers, they're probably approval numbers

Rick the plumber :

that's about all I can tell you I would need a specific model to give you specific info.

Customer:

OK. would a photo of valve help?

Rick the plumber :

maybe

Customer:

ON the plastic box inside it says Hansgrohe and some numbers. 13373-18 and P-1X 3680 ( on this one, the 1 could be I )

Customer:

Full Size Image

Rick the plumber :

Those don't fit the Hansgrohe model number pattern but give me a minute to see if I can find any info on it

Rick the plumber :

No luck, this is an obsolete valve and I can't find any info on it. The screwdriver slots do look like stops. The hex nuts inside the stops look like they are probably filters/check valves. The first thing I would do is try to turn the screwdriver stops and see if it shuts off the water. The pull the hex on the hot water side off and check it for fouling

Rick the plumber :

if the stops don't work you will have to shut off the whole house (unless you can find or cut in shutoffs to just the shower in the water lines)

Rick the plumber :

shutting off the whole house puts you in jeopardy of having no water if something goes wrong

Customer:

Thanks Rick. I will ck for fouling and if none is found, i will try the cartridge. You have pointed me in the right direction.

Rick the plumber :

It looks like there is a plastic disk behind the stem that is probably covering the hex for the cartridge.

Good luck

Please hit accept
Thanks for using Just Answer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry Rick, one more thing. If I take out the cartridge, will there be a part number or something to identify it so I can get correct replacement?
Probably not, you will need to go to a plumbing supply house that sells Hans and have them get the right part for you. I would not trust an online source