Theplumber717
Theplumber717, Plumber, Hvac Tech
Experience:  Lic Plumbing contractor, 27/yrs res,com,repair,Universal HVAC Tech

I have a Kohler model 78061-AA "Fairfax single handle" kitchen

I have a Kohler model 78061-AA "Fairfax single handle" kitchen faucet. I can't get the handle off to replace the valve with a new valve kit. Do you know if the handle screws off or lifts off? I can't get it to budge. I have already removed the hot/cold button and the set screw.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Theplumber717 replied 2 years ago.

theplumber717 :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX am here to answer all of your plumbing questions. After the question process is complete please hit accept, Thanks

theplumber717 :

let me look up your faucet give me a minute

Customer:

ok

theplumber717 :

the handle once you have the set screw lose should just pull off

Customer:

We've been pulling very hard and it won't come off. We're pulling up on the sink (using WD40) and still not budging.

theplumber717 :

you do have the screw out right

Customer:

Yes, the screw is completely out.

theplumber717 :

its just stuck

Customer:

Would a rubber hammer help?

theplumber717 :

probably pull on it while rapping on it

Customer:

We'll try. I"ll be back.

theplumber717 :

ok

Customer:

How long is the set screw supposed to be? I think maybe it broke off and is keeping the handle from coming off. The screw I have is only 3/4 inch long.

theplumber717 :

thats probably all the longer it is, if it broke off it would allow the handle to come off

Customer:

would twisting it to the left and right help? The rubber hammer and pulling didn't help.

theplumber717 :

you just have to work it back and forth while pull up at the same time

Customer:

I'll be back

theplumber717 :

ok

theplumber717 :

If you have a 1/8 gap between the handle and the top off the spout you could use a handle puller

theplumber717 :

i dont know if you have the room though

theplumber717 :

is there a gap

theplumber717 :

If you grab the handle arm and try and pull straight up while hitting the top of the handle with the rubber mallet you can probably get it to come off

Customer:

Finally got it off! Does the bonnet (below the handle) screw off?

theplumber717 :

yes that unscrews

Customer:

counter clockwise looking from above?

theplumber717 :

yes counter clockwise

theplumber717 :

yes from above

Customer:

okay. Be right back.

theplumber717 :

k

Customer:

now, how do we get the valve kit out?

theplumber717 :

once you have the bonnet off it should just pull out unless that faucet has a clip then you have to remove the clip

Customer:

lt has a stop tab (we removed that).

theplumber717 :

im still looking for your faucet diagram

Customer:

to us, the stop tab seems to be fine.

theplumber717 :

then it should just pull out

theplumber717 :

it maybe stuck too

Customer:

the faucet didn't have a leak, we just took it appart because the handle broke free of the mechanism.

theplumber717 :

then it probably just needed tightened you dont need to remove the cartdridge

theplumber717 :

unless the screw was broke

theplumber717 :

if its stuck in the top of the cartridge you will have to replace it

theplumber717 :

and you will need a new screw

theplumber717 :

i got disconnected sorry i found your manual

theplumber717 :

here is the address incase you need it

theplumber717 :

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/1004626_2.pdf

theplumber717 :

Just copy and paste that address to your browser and it will bring up your manual,

theplumber717 :

It shows you how to adjust stop in there

Customer:

Thanks. We got the old valve kit out. We had to use a big wrench. We got the valve kit replaced. We still have the old stop tap. It is necessary to establish a maximum temperature before we put the stop tab back on?

theplumber717 :

yes open the webpage and in the manual it tells you how to set it properly

theplumber717 :

theplumber717 :

let me know if you need more help, good luck

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Smile - We're done! We have the faucet re-assembled and it is working much smoother now! Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!
no problem glad to help
Theplumber717, Plumber, Hvac Tech
Experience: Lic Plumbing contractor, 27/yrs res,com,repair,Universal HVAC Tech