Theplumber717
Theplumber717, Plumber, Hvac Tech
Experience:  Lic Plumbing contractor, 28/yrs res,com,repair,Universal HVAC Tech
63005973

My hot water heater in 5th wheel has stopped working. I have

Customer Question

My hot water heater in 5th wheel has stopped working. I have a full propane tank and have tried to relight the heater to no avail. Can't figure what the problem might be. Any suggestions that I might used to get refired?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Theplumber717 replied 2 years ago.

theplumber717 :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX am here to answer all of your plumbing questions. After the question process is complete please hit accept, Thanks What is the model of your heater?

Theplumber717, Plumber, Hvac Tech
Experience: Lic Plumbing contractor, 28/yrs res,com,repair,Universal HVAC Tech
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
What was your model number? and i will see what i can do for you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where do I get that info from. It's suppose to be a 10 gal gas rv hot water heater.
should be right on the front, When you try to light pilot does it light at all? the pilot i mean?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No..the pilot does not light at all. I cannot see any number on the right front. This is a RV hot water (propane) heater.
you say you checked the lp tank and know your getting gas to the gas valve? By the way how old is the heater?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this a a 2008 RV I suspect the heater is no older than date of manuf of RV
Ok i need to know the make and model of the heater, Your heater should still be under warranty that's the good news The make and model should be right on the heater
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As I said before..this is a RV Gas (propane) heater, the only thing I can see regarding the heater is the plate that covers the heater on the side of camper. the heater is inside the side of camper. I would have to take heater out of camper to find this info. I am not expert enough to take out heater. I will look on outside again and see if there is any indication of Model..#..or any other info.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
This plumber is not qualified to answer question about a RV Propane hot water heater. He did not give me any indication he knew what the problem was!
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

The problem you may have is that on the propane tank inside the tank is a valve and if it thinks you have a leak it will shut off and not allow the gas out. This happens all the time.

So what you need to do is turn off the tank and disconnect the gas valve then hook it back up and this time make sure that the water heater is in the off positions then slowly open the gas valve after you have done this turn the gas valve on the heater to the pilot and try to light it This should do the trick.

Bill

If this is the right answer please hit accept for Bill

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think this is the case. I have a gas stove in RV and it lights okay. The hot water heater worked until yesterday when it suddenly stopped coming on to heat water.
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.

Hello

Do you Push down the pilot button when you try to light the water heater?

And if so when you hold down the pilot button do you hear the gas coming out of the valve?

Bill

Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

If you do hear the gas then you may need a new thermocouple.

Here is a pdf file to show you how to replace the thermocouple on a lp gas water heater.

http://www.americanwaterheater.com/support/manuals/lp_tc_instr.pdf

Bill