Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

Hi expert, I have a onga JJ600 pump with a pressure tank.

Hi expert,

I have a onga JJ600 pump with a pressure tank. Few days again the pressure switch welded (i discovered that and replace the pressure switch) and the pump was kept running for more than 6 hours continuously on 50PSI pressure.

I then discovered that and replace the pressure switch and it works fine for 2 days. Same thing happened again, the pump will keep running and when i saw it, i noticed that the pump pressure has dropped to 35PSI max and won't go up again... I then need to lower pressure switch config to cut off in 35PSI so that the pump will stop.

The problem i got now is that i got low water pressure in the house.

Now, would you able to fix my problem to increase the pressure pump water pressure?

Thanks
Huang
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JA.com. I will assist you today with your question. Please accept the answer upon completion of the Q&A process.

Unfortunately, by running the pump for so long without it shutting down you have now damaged the pump. Most likely the impeller has cavitated. Pump cavitation occurs when a pump continuously runs and builds heat and pressure without relief, cavitation creates bubbles in which cause damage to the internal pump. You will need to rebuild the pump or replace the pump at this point.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Marc,

Can you confirm that even just 6 hours and it has water in it (Not running dry) can cause cativation?

When you say rebuild the pump do you mean to replace the impeller? Hum.. it will cost huge by replace the whole pump as i just replaced my JJ400 2 months ago and it cost 810AUD which is not fun.. So i don't think it is an option for me just to replace it.

Does it covered by the warranty as it watch caused by the pressure switch?

Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.

I cannot speak for the pressure switch company and they will typically only replace their product. as for the pump, rebuild the impeller as this is the best and cheapest option at this point. As for the time frame, I cannot confirm due to any specific time however in typical cases it is very possible this is your problem and that was the cause of it!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you guide me through the process to rebuild the pump (i guess to replace the impeller). What parts do i need for Onga JJ600.

Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately I will have to defer the rebuild parts and process to another expert as I am stepping out for a bit. I will say that you will need a new impeller, and shaft seal but I do not have the part numbers available to me. However you will need to isolate the power and any valves to and from the pump, disconnect the inlet and outlet water lines and unbolt the housing assembly to access the impeller. You will then dismantle the housing and access the impeller, then remove the impeller and then the shaft seal. Replace and re-assemble.
This is all I can do this evening. I am sorry that I cannot continue.
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.
This is a follow up to see how you are making out with your pump. If there is anything g further I can do to assist you please do not hesitate to ask.
If you are completed, please click on the accept button to close out the question. Thank you and have a great day!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had been told that a cavitated impeller will produce horrible noise, which in my case i didn't hear that kind of noise.

Would it possible that only the shaft seal is damaged?
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.
During the cavitation it will sound like little rocks inside the pump housing, the impeller if damaged will make some noise but not real noticeable (as a horrible sound) such as you describe. And yes the pump shaft seal may be gone as I had previously described to you.
Marc, Plumber
Experience: Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

I will mark this as accept answer for now so that you can get paid. I need to find out the purchase receipt of that pump and take it the shop to check for warranty.

I can not open the pump before that because it might void the warranty. therefore i can not diagnose it at this stage.

However i will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again expert.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Urgent Marc!!

I lose another 3 psi today and the pump wont stop again.

I take the biggest risk to open the pump myself. YES you are quite right about the damage to the impeller. The whole impeller assembly was mishaped!! I believe it was damage by the constant 50PSI continous run for 6 hours.

Now, i am lucky enough to have a broken JJ400 and the assembly parts looks exactly to JJ600.

If i replace the whole essembly including the washer tie to the motor part. Do i need to put any sealent to seal it or i can just replace all part.

Please advise and hope that i can meet you before the motor part is damaged.

Regards
Huang
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Marc,

I rebuilt the impeller assembly. Everything looks great. It create a air seal environme which when i first turn on the input faucet with the output faucet off, the water couldn't get in because the air in the impeller compartment blocking the water coming in, which is great. So i have to open the cap and let the water in and close the cap.

When i turn the power on, it works fine. However there is water came out from a little small open part, something like a hole to let the water that pass through the impeller compartment to the motor compartment drain out. This happen only when the motor is running.

The water pressure builds up very quickly but still couldn't reach 50psi which i believe has something to do with the water draining out from the small hole.

Please advise.
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry I could not respond to your other question. The impeller Definitely overheated to contort like that. As for the sealant, it is never a bad thing to seal the seams. Now for the little hole in your pump...that is a telltale sign that the shaft seal is leaking. Did you replace the shaft seal as well? I think you mentioned a washer. However if it is leaking near the motor assembled and through a hole the. Yes this is the shaft seal and it is leaking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Marc,

Thanks. I hope that it is the shaft seal too as it is only dripping when the motor is turn on. Can you explain that?

In your pass experience, would you able to tell me if a impeller assembly contorted is still cover under warranty?

Also with a 20-40PSI pressure switch, can we normally configure it to cut in at 35PSI and cut off at 45PSI? Just tell me if it is possible or not because i try to do it and no luck.
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.
Exactly. As the motor shaft is spinning it is allowing water out of the shaft seal as the shaft is connected to both the motor and impeller.
The warranty will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. However I do not believe the problem would be due to manufacturers defective product....unless you can prove their switch was in fact the problem. You can always try...the most they can say is no!!
As for the pressure switch, yes you can increase a 20-40 switch as high as 75 lbs providing the expansion tank is properly adjusted. If you wish to increase to 25-45 then ensure the tank pressure is 2lbs less than the cut in pressure or 23lbs when empty of all water.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Marc,

I asked the question as below but didn't get your direct answer
  • can we normally configure it to cut in at 35PSI and cut off at 45PSI
I mean can i configure it to cut in and cut out in between 10 PSI difference? I found that the 20/40 pressure switch i got is not able to do that. The best it can do is between 15 PSI different.

Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.
It all depends on the brand switch that you get. Some switches are fully adjustable to within 1 pound of each other others are only adjustable at a 20 psi range. The reason for the 20 pound differential typically is to give your pump a break as to not overheat and overwork the pump. This will shorten the life of your pump considerably.
Marc, Plumber
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
... Before the pump was broken, it always turn on just after few seconds when a water tape is open, and the pump turn off right after a water tape is shut off...

Is that mean that it was not doing good to the pump and why did that happen?

I think it is better now as i have at least 17 PSI in range.
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.
If your pump is turning on almost immediately after a tap is opened then your problem is with your well expansion tank. Either your tank has gone bad and needs replacement or it needs to be recharged with air. When all the water pressure is shut off in the tank is drained the pressure precharge in the expansion tank should be 2 pounds less than the cut in pressure of your pump switch. If you check the precharge pressure with a tire gauge in the expansion tank and you find that water comes out of the expansion tank then your problem is the tank has gone bad and needs to be replaced. This quick check is done prior to shutting the water off and draining the pressure down. After you've done this check grade it all down and follow the procedures I told you previously on checking your actual pre-charged pressures
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Marc. All done and i precharge it to 18 PSI for a 20PSI cut in.

The tank looks fine. Phew... lucky i didn't lose it else with cost me another 200 bucks..

Thanks again for you help.

Regards
Huang
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Marc,

Wish that you are well.

I replaced all shaft seal for my pump and i realized that it is actually a onga JJ400 not JJ600.. It cost me 63.03 AUD just for the seal.

Do you think it is a reasonable price or do you have any place online that sells the spare part with good price?

Also, do you think that we will always need a very skillful expert to change the seal? I did it myself and it looks fine.. At least no more dripping at the motor part. I just want to make sure that it wasn't a hard job as i done it very easily...

Regards
Huang
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.
I am well thank you,
It sounds that you are paying retail price for the part. Maybe a bit expensive however I do not have any other place to get the parts.
Replacing the seal is very simple, and if it is not leaking...you have done well!
Regards,
Marc

Please remember just answer does allow tips for our efforts. I welcome all tips for my service to you.
Thank you and have a great day!
Marc, Plumber
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Marc,

Hope that you are well!
It didn't show any sign of leakage. I think i did it. Thanks for your guide along the line!

Wish you have a nice xmas and happy new year!

Regards
Huang