Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

Transporting a water heater on its side

Customer Question

Transporting a water heater on its side
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.

Marc the plumber : Hello and thank you for using JA.com. I will assist you today with your question. Please accept the answer upon completion of the Q&A process.
Marc the plumber : Are you asking if it is okay?
Marc the plumber : I have been plumbing for 25 years and have transported more water heaters on their side than not on their side. Just don't go four wheeling with it on its side and you will be fine. I have yet to have any problems.
JACUSTOMER-de23j2l4- : thanks Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience: Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On water heater gas lines can the drip line segment be reused or does it require new black pipe? If so does the old pipe dope need to be removed before re-doping? Wondering if the gas regulators on water heaters are the same height? If not may need to change out pipe lengths on gas line?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
never responded
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.
My apologies for the delay. Yes the drip line can be re-used. I do recommend removing the old pipe dope and re-doping. As for the gas line height, if it is different you can purchase a flexible stainless steel gas line to accommodate the difference.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does the flexible stainless steel line require to be hooked up after the drip segment? Is it ok to hook at stainless steel line to black piping or is there a need for a special union?
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.
Typically connected at the tee (on the horizontal side) on the top of the drip leg and no special fittings, it can be connected directly to the black iron pipe or fittings.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I assume that flexible stainless steel is threaded the same as black pipe and requires pipe dope. Wondering if this flexible line may come in segments to long for my purpose. I don't like the idea of a long flexible line to accomodate a difference of a few inches.
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.
Yes it has the same threads and will fit any standard black pipe or black malleable fitting. Yes you should always use pipe thread sealant (not Teflon tape) on the threads. Also the flexible gas supply line is sold in small increments as a preassembled item such as 24"-36"-48" and such. You will and can find this in the water heater section of most hardware stores. They are specific for the application. Also the other option is to adapt with nipples and elbows and such to make up the difference however it may throw off the entire piping configuration. The flexible line is the best and easiest option for you.
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.

is there anything further I can do to assist you with this question?