Plmqwk, Master Plumber
Experience:  20+ years in plumbing field. Licensed master plumber, commercial plumbing inspector

My dishes smell like wet dog when they are dried. At first

My dishes smell like wet dog when they are dried. At first I thought it was related to the dishwasher, but even when washed by hand, they smell. Also, I filled a mop bucket with hot water from the kitchen tap and now my floor has that same bad odor. I don't notice the smell as the water is running - nor do I smell it in other places (like the bathroom or laundry). We have lived here for a little over a year, but this has just been happening for the past two months. What could it be??

Welcome to Just Answer. I will do my best to fully answer your question(s).

The smell is likely your hot water, but cold also be your soap or combination of the two. Iron or sulfur present in the water is amplified by the heating process. One way to help eliminate this is via a softner/ iron removal system but you may also need to replace the existing waterheater's anode rod with an aluminum one. this will void the warranty unfortunately. If the heater is older than six yrs the warranty is probably expired anyways.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should we have the water tested to see if it has excessive levels of iron?
Yes definately. The tester may also find something else to consider that may be unique in the water quality to your area.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm a little bit leery of inviting someone in to test the water and getting a hard sell to buy something or other. Do you recommend any do-it-yourself home kits that might work - or at least one that will give me somewhat of an idea before I call in someone? Thank you!
I am not sure if a home center would carry something like that or not. If you are on city water then you could go down to the city water dept. and they will share with you the quality results they test thier out going water all the time. Ask them for iron level, hardness, ph level, and also ask if there is anything else YOU should be aware of as a homeowner user of the water. If you are on a well then your best source for testing is a well driller. Alot of times they wont sell treatment equipment (some do though) so your chances of having a conflict of interest there is less. Or call in 3-4 differnet plumbing or water treatment specialists go with your best instincts and whom you trust most. After you gather the information we can always help you decipher all the info here at JustAnswer too!