Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor

the Rheem water heater has a Red Black and Green wires the

the Rheem water heater has a Red Black and Green wires the wire I have has Red Black White and bare wire how is this hooked up and what wire are hooked to the 30 amp braker
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Marc replied 2 years ago.

Marc the plumber :

Hello and thank you for using JA.com. I will assist you today with your question. Please accept the answer upon completion of the Q&A process.

Marc the plumber :

as always I recommend any electrical, plumbing and heating be performed by a licensed contractor.

Marc the plumber :

on your heater, the red, black and green wires will be wired with your existing wire as follows

Customer:

Thank You for your help

Marc the plumber :

first...you must go to the electrical panel to determine which wires are utilized as the existing wire from the breaker must have one as a non used wire...most likely the red...

Marc the plumber :

dont take the chance, find out within the panel at the breaker which 2 attach to the breaker

Marc the plumber :

however, typically, you will attach the black to black, the white to red on the heater and the green to the bare wire.

Marc the plumber :

your existing wire is a 3 wire with ground. Typically it would be a 2 wire with ground so someone used a different wire to feed the tank.

Customer:

the wires were riped out by heavy equipment

Marc the plumber :

I would highly recommend a licensed electrician to look this over if you are not comfortable with any of the steps

Customer:

what wire gos to the breaker the black

Customer:

right the wire is red white black and ground

Marc the plumber :

the breaker will have 2 wires to it from a water heater as it is a 240volt unit. typically the black and the white go to the 30 amp breaker and the extra red wire will be cut back and not used. The bare would go to the ground bar within the panel

Customer:

yes it is red is cut back

Marc the plumber :

ok perfect, as I said, 2 wires to the b reaker...white and black on the 30 amp breaker, ground to ground bar, then on the water heater side, black to black, white to red, and bare to green.

Customer:

Great ma

Marc the plumber :

if there is anything else I can help you with feel free to ask.

Customer:

Great Marc you Have been a big help

Marc the plumber :

if you are completed please click on the accept button to close out the question

Marc the plumber :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX and have a great day!

Customer:

You have a good day and God bles you and your family

Marc the plumber :

same to you! thank you

Marc the plumber :

Please remember to click on the accept button, this is how I get paid for my time today, I receive a percentage of the fee established for assisting you. Otherwise we do not get paid. Thank you very much.

Marc, Plumber
Experience: Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor