Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

How much does it cost to have septic tank tail lines blown

How much does it cost to have septic tank tail lines blown out?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rick the plumber :

Tail lines is not a technical term. Do you mean the leaching field? You can't 'blow out' the lines in a leaching field. You can temporarily restore the field by treating the field with restorative chemicals. The treatment is dumped into the distribution box for the field. Normally cost a few hundred dollars. Often the bulk of the cost is just finding the D-box.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, I had assumed that work should be done by licensed professional...

the person who emptied septic tank said that before going through expense of new tail lines for back yard, that I might want to have tail lines blown out...

I was hoping to get a 'ballpark' estimate of how much I could expect to pay for this 'blowout'

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Like I said before you can't/don't 'blow out tail lines'. Tail lines is not a technical term and makes me question the expertise of whoever mentioned it. I gave you the procedure to restore your leaching field above as well as typical cost in my first answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

maybe he didn't say 'tail lines'...PLEASE excuse me... I know it is called a 'leach field'...

he said something about putting a rod in the ground and blowing air...

what is the 'D box'...is that the septic tank

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Air is not used, here is my original answer again;
You can't 'blow out' the lines in a leaching field. You can temporarily restore the field by treating the field with restorative chemicals. The treatment is dumped into the distribution box for the field. Normally cost a few hundred dollars. Often the bulk of the cost is just finding the D-box.

The outlet pipe from the septic tank first goes into a distribution box (D-box). From the D-box the lines for the leaching field branch off. Since the D-box is not on any plan and can be difficult to find it can take a while to locate it. Once it is found it's just a matter of digging it up and dumping the chemical treatment into the box then burying it again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
usually, how far from septic tank is D Box, and how far into ground is it usually
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
That's the problem. It can be 10' away it could be 100' away (although this is much less likely). It typically is a bit deeper in the ground than the septic tank since the water must flow downhill from the tank to the box. The low tech way to find it is to poke around with a heavy metal bar into the ground (where they think it might be) until they hit something. The high tech way (can be more expensive) is to send a snake with a radio transmitter down the outlet pipe from the septic tank. When it won't go any further it usually means they are in the D-box. The radio signals indicate it's location.
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank-you