Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago

Tankless water heater not getting hot enough.

Customer Question

I have a rheem 74 dvp. The temp is set up to 120, with a remote control unit, when I run the dish washer.  For the past couple of days, the water isn't going above 100 degrees. I flushed the unit about 2 months ago and it has been working fine since then, problem just developed recently. There are no error codes showing on the display.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 5 years ago.

Plumbing Pro : Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional ability.These type of heaters work off a flow switch that tells the heater to turn on when water starts flowing threw it like when you turn on a sink or use the dish washer . Over time the unit has a inlet filter on it and it will become clogged with minerals from the water , you will not notice the difference in water flow but it's just a slight change that the heater will not stay on and not know water is going threw it to turn it self on. Try running the kitchen sink at the same time the dishwasher is going this will force more water threw the unit and turn on to heat the water as it should be doing . The inlet filter needs to be cleaned every 3 months depending on water quality and if your on well water then this type of heater is a bad idea . Thank you for choosing Just Answer.
JACUSTOMER-5si6hqju- :

Thanks. I checked the filter and it was spotless. I turned on the water with the filter removed to see if there was any debris trapped in the fitting and nothing came out. The hot water is flowing at 4 gallons per minute through an un-aerated tap. Any other ideas?