Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

I have a 6 year old Laars Endurance propane boiler for heat

I have a 6 year old Laars Endurance propane boiler for heat with a hot water coil. I have two problems. One is that the pressure relief valve (30psi) is leaking slightly. I exercised the valve and it would not shut off unless I tapped the rod that is on top downwards. I plan on replacing this.

The boiler was off because we didn't have propane. The PSI on the gauge when off was 12. When we got propane and turned the boiler back on, the PSI is in the low 20's. The gauge says the system should be around 12. Is it normal for it to go this high when the water is hot or do I have an issue that is causing that? Thank you.

FYI we have well water with a water softener
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rick the plumber :

It sounds like your expansion tank may be faulty. If it's a diaphragm type tank it may need to be replaced

Customer:

I think it is a diaphram type as it is newer

Customer:

I believe it has a bicycle type valve on it. The tank seems empty though

Customer:

is it possible the valve regulating water pressure going into the system is faulty? There is some blue green corrosion around the gasket and screws

Customer:

is there any way to test the expansion tank ie check the pressure with a tire gauge?

Rick the plumber :

You can't test the expansion tank except if you tap on it and 2/3's to 3/4's sounds empty then it's ok. If the feed valve was bad the pressure would climb even if the burner wasn't running

Rick the plumber :

The only way to know for sure if the expansion tank is bad it to remove it but tapping the tank is a good indication. You can check it when you replace the relief valve since you will need to drain the system

Customer:

so if the expansion tank seems empty and the pressure is not climbing from the feed valve what could be the problem?

Rick the plumber :

those are the only likely culprits, as long as the pressure stays below 30 psi you are ok

Customer:

so it is okay to run it around 20 then right?

Rick the plumber :

yes 20 to 25 psi is ok

Customer:

ok

Rick the plumber :

12 -15 psi cold is normal

Rick the plumber :

20 to 25 psi hot is ok

Customer:

one last question: is the Laars Endurance a good unit? Also, is there any maintenance I can do to keeping it running in top shape?

Customer:

ok great, thanks for the tip. I am new to propane boilers

Rick the plumber :

I am not a fan of Laars. I would suggest dumping it if starts to give you trouble

Customer:

ok

Customer:

what temperature should it be set to?

Rick the plumber :

These units don't require much maintenance except to clean off the burners if rust and dirt starts to accumulate on the burners.

Water temp depends on system design temp typical temp is 180-190

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help Rick

Rick the plumber :

Please hit accept
Thanks for using Just Answer

Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.