Jerry, Plumber
Experience:  over 20 years residential plumbing experience.

How do I stop a singing noise in my water pipes when water

How do I stop a singing noise in my water pipes when water is running? A "handyman" fixed 2 breaks in my water line outside coming into the house last week. When I turned my yard sprinkler system on, it wouldn't shut off. Had to turn off at shutoff in yard. Since then, every time we use water (faucets, toilets, etc.) the pipes make this awful "singing" noise while water is running. HELP!!!!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JA! If the pipes sing with any faucet running, you most likely have a pressure reducing valve that has debris caught in it. This would be near the entrance of the water line into the home. Some prv models have removable screens for cleaning. Otherwise it would need replacement. Cost of part between 60 and 100 dollars.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jerry, I'm a 68 year old widow on limited income. I'm going to go outside to the pressure reducing valve that he replaced and see if it has debris in it. If this fixes problem, I will accept your answer and pay the $30.00. Also, can I ask another question regarding same problem? My late husband had put a toggle switch on our lawn sprinkler control panel because he liked being able to turn it on and off at will. That is the switch I used to turn on the lawn sprinkler system after this "work" was done, but when I tried shutting the sprinkler system off the toggle switch wouldn't turn offf water. As stated before, had to turn off valve in yard to turn if off and now have no use of system. Don't want to bring this person back to "fix" the problem. Paid him $350.00 already. Afraid he'll break something else. Didn't really hire this guy. He came by to get paid for brake work he did on my daughter's car and my neighbor thought he was there to fix my water problem (which I wasn't even aware of) cause he was in his brother's truck (lawn service). He just started digging. Said he could fix it. Not guaranteed cause he doesn't work for brother who moved his business to Savannah.
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
Good info. The toggle switch controls automatic main to the sprinkler system. And yes this valve may very well be causing the noise since its stuck partially open. I would recommend cleaning/ replacement.