Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

There is water comming from up under my bathroom tiles. Problem

There is water comming from up under my bathroom tiles. Problem is I rent from a very irresponsible landlord. This is a florida apartment,ground level. Original floor was terazzo. Someone put linoleum over that and eventually put tile over the linoleum. Its a 4X5 size batroom,small. There is water comming up through the grout in the middle of the floor. Also the bottom of the press board vanity is wet and swollen on the side closest to the toilet and the shower for that matter. I suspect the water is running out of one place and all through under these tiles where it can. Landlord changed out the wax ring toilet seal but water keeps reappearing. Neighbors apt. is dry. I believe this has been a slow leak that has run down through the floor and into the bottom of the wall across the room because the wood is wet there too. If you step on one of the tiles you can hear a squishing sound from the water underneath. The landlord refuses to call a plumber. He says pipes do not run under the building and I can see the pipes run around the outside of the building myself. There does not appear to be a roof leak either. Do you have any ideas on where the water could be comming from? If I don`t figure something out he will never get this fixed properly and I can not afford to move. I may call a plumber myself but I need some good advice to go on first...not from Mr.NOT fix it,the landlord.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rick the plumber :

You could have a leak inside a wall. Given the vanity is swelling up that might be a good place to start. It's also possible that there are indeed water lines under the slab

Rick the plumber :

but finding a leak above the floor that's running down onto the floor is much less destructive

Rick the plumber :

Where does the water line for the toilet come from? does it come up through the floor or through the wall?

Customer:

The vanity is on the middle wall between my neighbor and I. It is not wet anywhere.

Customer:

lemme look

Customer:

Its comming out of that same wall which I can see it is dry,hmm

Rick the plumber :

Another possibility is the tub/shower or shower stall

Customer:

could it be from the shower/tub?

Customer:

augh

Rick the plumber :

what does the enclosure look like? does it have tile? is it in good shape?

Customer:

he swears water lines done run under the terrazzo floor in florida

Customer:

tub and tile

Customer:

faucets do leak

Customer:

like from 1950

Customer:

I have been sucking out water from a hole I cut in the grout. But by the end of the day the water returns

Rick the plumber :

First your landlords assertion about where water lines are run is BS. Water lines under a slab are very common in Florida. But the tub/shower sounds like it would be at the top of my list of potential culprits given your description

Customer:

even when no one showers or uses the toilet

Customer:

He is an idiot...that is the problem,lol.

Rick the plumber :

if it's a water line that's leaking it's under pressure all the time and will leak constantly

Customer:

he said the whole place would be flooded

Rick the plumber :

not if it's a pin hole leak

Customer:

would my neighbor on the other side of the wall have a problem then?

Rick the plumber :

not necessarily

Customer:

Thats what I said

Rick the plumber :

is there access to the wall behind where the tub/shower valve/faucet is?

Customer:

is thre something that like overflows under the tub when water builds up?

Rick the plumber :

no

Customer:

yes the faucet in the tub is on the same wall as the toilet and the vanity and my neighbor

Rick the plumber :

any way to cut a hole in the wall behind the valve to check it out

Customer:

he also tried to say water leaking from THAT faucet would run down the drain

Rick the plumber :

again BS

Customer:

I`m figured

Customer:

hmm

Rick the plumber :

the faucet could leak into the wall

Customer:

you mean hmm which valve

Rick the plumber :

the water lines could be leaking

Customer:

yea,nothing smells

Rick the plumber :

the drain line could also leak

Rick the plumber :

the tub/shower faucet

Customer:

the dial in the middle (the one that changes tub to shower) may be the problem?

Customer:

so either one of the valves are leaking or a drain line

Rick the plumber :

yes or possible the water lines

Customer:

I know this sounds stupid but where does the drain line run

Customer:

Yes,I told him the faucets are not attached tight

Customer:

he never fixes anything right

Rick the plumber :

the drain runs under the slab.

Customer:

ohhhhh

Customer:

and that could be leaking?

Rick the plumber :

except where the tub connects to it a leak in the tub drain wouldn't cause the problem you describe

Customer:

ok

Customer:

so if the wall behind the shower/toilet/vanity is not wet then there is a good chance the tub faucets are leaking and running under the floor,right?

Rick the plumber :

you need to get inside that wall to look

Customer:

the neighbor DID have a leak under his sink but that was fixed 2 months ago

Customer:

Landlord thought that was the underlying problem...but it cant be

Rick the plumber :

not if it's still wet

Customer:

So get into that wall where the tub faucets are?

Customer:

its bone dry over there,they say.

Rick the plumber :

that's the first place I would look if there are no other signs

Customer:

Floor runs an a small slant towards me I think

Customer:

When he pulled the toilet up there was water around it but mabe it was comming from that tub faucet

Customer:

He really needs to ask a real plumber to come in an look at stuff before anything gets worse

Customer:

One thing I dont understand is how more water shows up on the floor when no one has used the shower for a day or so

Rick the plumber :

That's an indication of a leak in a water line

Rick the plumber :

it's under pressure all the time and will leak constantly until it's fixed

Customer:

Then you think this line is most likely the one comming from the tub faucet?

Rick the plumber :

It's hard for me to say. I suspect that but no way for me to tell. If you open up the wall and see lines coming up through the slab then the leak could be right where the pipe emerges from the slab

Customer:

wow

Customer:

and if it is dry?

Rick the plumber :

then it could be under the slab

Customer:

So one requires knocking out a wall in the shower...the other is an underground nightmare basically,right?

Customer:

I will show my landlord what you had to say,so he knows where to go with this

Rick the plumber :

you don't need to knock down a wall just cut a hole or 2 in it so you can see inside

Customer:

My landlord just text me and insisted it is the gap under the wax seal and he is comming to cement it,sigh.

Customer:

What you say sounds right to me

Rick the plumber :

That's probably not it if the leak is active even when nothing is used

Customer:

toilet I mean

Customer:

That is what I told him

Rick the plumber :

do you have any more questions?

Customer:

not at the moment,thanks Rick

Customer:

Hope I can explain this to him

Customer:

You dont happen to live around here do you? LOL

Rick the plumber :

You can copy this to a Word doc and print it out. I'm in NH
Please hit accept
Thanks for using Just Answer

Customer:

ok then

Rick the plumber :

I'd appreciate an accept. I spent over half an hour with you and covered all the angles.

Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.