Jerry, Plumber
Experience:  over 20 years residential plumbing experience.

I bought a moen adler L82694SRN shower and tub faucet. I am

I bought a moen adler L82694SRN shower and tub faucet. I am having a hard time understanding first 3 directions. 1abc, 2abc, and 3abc. It has to do with the black ring that is about 4 inches in diameter. I hooked it up without doing these first steps and no water would come through the valve. I turned the main back on. Im hoping 1 i didnt break it and 2 that these first steps will allow water to flow through properly. Im sure its an easy process just need some help. Thanks Mike
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JA! The black plastic ring is just a backer plate. Doesn't matter if its installed. Make sure both the hot and cold water is on. If you don't have hot water pressure, you wont get any water out since this is a pressure balancing valve.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still no water, both my water valves are on
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
At this point I need you to turn off the water and remove the cartridge from the valve. While its out, have someone turn on the water pressure momentarily, to flush out the supply lines. With a light you should be able to verify that you are getting both hot and cold coming into the brass body. Also you can inspect the cartridge for any debris that may have got in the valve.
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
Any luck?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry it took me a little bit to get back. i am not getting hot water anymore upstairs for some reason. i am getting it downstairs in the kitchen sink. I am not getting any hot water to the upstairs shower or washer and dryer. When i did this install all i did was turn off the water coming out of the hot water heater downstairs, and behind the wall upstairs in the crawlspace i found two valves behind the shower. one hot and one cold. both the hot water heater and the cold water valve upstairs have a red top that spins a good amount of spins to turn on and off. the hot valve upstairs doesnt spin as much. it feels like it spins 180 degrees, but it did this from the beginning, and we used to get hot water up there. that pipe also supplies the hot water to the washer and dryer. is my hot water valve busted?
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Yes its most likely busted. It sounds like you will need to replace that valve. Sometimes the gate portion just breaks inside the valve from corrosion. I would recommend putting in a ball valve in its place. This will then allow the tub valve to operate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im not using a tub anymore, can i just get the same style valve and use pex pipe and gatot bite fittings to piece it together?
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
Sure! That will be sufficient. The ball style valves are a little better quality but the same style you have will work fine.
Jerry, Plumber
Experience: over 20 years residential plumbing experience.