Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Hi. Is there a way to fix a small (pin hole size) leak in plastic

Hi. Is there a way to fix a small (pin hole size) leak in plastic tubing? Our house is nearly 100 yrs old, and at some point (?!?) someone put a feeder line bringing water into the kitchen or bathroom. Slow leak, maybe a coffee mug of water in about 8 hours. We could not stop it until we turned the water off into the house AND emptied all the water from pipes in sink, toilet, etc. I am sure there is something that will work, but I do not know what exactly, and I know you Experts will know!!
Thank you!

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rick the plumber :

If the leak is in a fitting joint then the only way to fix it is to cut out the fitting and replace it.

Rick the plumber :

If this is some other type of plastic (not glued joints) I need you to be more specific about what you have and where exactly the leak is

Customer:

hello

Rick the plumber :

I'm here

Customer:

It is about 1/2 inch dia plastic tubing, the clear kind. It is about 4 inches from a joint, it is a straight piece.

Rick the plumber :

Is this a supply tube under a sink? how long is the piece?

Customer:

It sounds crazy, but you should see all the McGyver stuff in our house! electric stuff, plumbing stuff. It would be funny if it weren't my actual house!!

Customer:

In the basement, there are some giant pipes'

Customer:

I say giant, because they are about 6 or 8 in in diameter I guess. They are made of metal of some sort and look like pipes you'd see in a boiler room on a ship or something.

Customer:

Those are the sewer pipes leaving the house i think. Then there is a little, much thinner but also metal, pipe, maybe an inch in diam, I think that is the clean water coming in.

Customer:

The plastic one connects through the wall to somewhere upstairs.

Customer:

The leak is in the visible area above the big boiler room pipes. Do you want me to take a picture, although I do not think I can get my camera into the space where the actual leak is.

Rick the plumber :

OK, your best bet is an insert fitting and 2 hose clamps. Cut the tubing at the leak insert the coupling and tighten the clamps on each end

Customer:

ok. So is it like fixing a hose? I have done that before. It sounds the same. Is there a specfic name for this, or should I tell the guy at Home Depot and he will know what I am talking about?

Rick the plumber :

yes, similar to fixing a hose. You need to know the diameter of the tubing before going for parts

Customer:

Okay great, that helps.Also, not sure if you can give me an opinion on this...but I am wondering if it might be worth it to go through my home owner's insurance and get stuff

Customer:

replaced and paid for....properly?

Rick the plumber :

You need to talk to your insurance agent but normally insurance won't pay to correct a defective installation but they will pay for the damage from a resulting failure

Customer:

Oh those insurance companies, gotta love them. Thank you

Customer:

do you have time for a bit more on my leak? My husband just came up and I guess I was a bit off with my info. He says it is too close to the joint to do the

Customer:

hang on....

Rick the plumber :

ok

Customer:

I am gonna send/post a couple photos, doing it now.

Rick the plumber :

ok

Customer:

here is the leak.

Full Size Image

Rick the plumber :

That's sheds a completely different light on this

Customer:

and here are the big pipes below it

Full Size Image

Rick the plumber :

This is Wirsbo PEX. You're only option would be to cut out the fitting and replace it with a push-lock type fitting

Rick the plumber :

That cast iron, quite normal for an older house

Rick the plumber :

slow down and let me answer.

Rick the plumber :

There will need to be some slack in the horizontal piece to get it into the push-lock fitting

Rick the plumber :

Go to Home Depot and ask for a push-lock 90 for 1/2" PEX

Customer:

and here are some more

Full Size Image

Rick the plumber :

Once you cut out the leaking fitting you just push the tubing into the new fitting and it locks

Customer:

okay, I appreciate it. Am I going to need special wrench or something?

Rick the plumber :

no the tubing just pushes into the fitting

Rick the plumber :

you need to be sure you push it in all the way

Customer:

sounds good. I will give it a try...fingers crossed :)

Customer:

Thank you!

Rick the plumber :

Please hit accept
Thanks for using Just Answer