Bill
Bill, Master Plumber
Experience:  39 1/2 years in the plumbing trade, building So. Cal.w/NITC & LA CITY certification
46291591

My water pump keeps getting hot causing it to stop frequently.

My water pump keeps getting hot causing it to stop frequently. The pressure is 22psi in the tank,what other cause can it be to stop pumping until it cools off before it gets going again.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Hello.

1) The pump may need to have oil added to the bearings

2) Make sure that the pump is getting water

Let me go to my other pc I will be back in a few min to tell you how to adjust the pressure.

Bill

Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Hello.

Place an adjustable wrench on the smaller of the two nuts on top of the spring. Turn the nut 1/2 turn counter-clockwise to lower the cut-in pressure of the switch. Turn the nut 1/2 turn clockwise to raise the cut-in pressure of the switch.

Place an adjustable wrench on the larger of the two nuts on top of the spring. Turn the nut ½ turn counterclockwise to lower both the cut-in and cut-out pressures simultaneously.

Turn the nut ½ turn clockwise to raise both pressures simultaneously.

Turn the water on to enable the switch to operate. Observe the cut-in and cut-out points on the pressure gauge and the time the switch operates in between cut-in and cut-out. Make any other adjustments necessary to obtain the desired start and end pressures.

The water pressure should be about 65 psi that is a good pressure but no more than 80 psi.

Also make sure all the valves are open.

Bill

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The points at times were stuck together when the pump shut off. It runs a lot better once I added more air. You indicate pressure between 50-80psi, the most I could pump in was 49psi. The range nut, to get the proper range, if I unscrewed back to the top how far down should I screw it back down. The instruction of turning half turn is that from the top edge of the bolt.
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Hello.

Yes

And if all your pump will give you is 49 psi then that should be good

Bill

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One more question, I mentioned the points were getting stuck what's causing this. It didn't occur once I increased the air pressure. The points were stuck together after the pump had stopped pumping. I sure appreciate the help on-line, this is an excellent expert help.

\Thank You.

Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Hello.

Maybe you can try to sand in between the points lightly with a fine emery board and blow off to clean them. Make sure the power is off first.

Bill

Thank you for using Just Answer

Bill, Master Plumber
Experience: 39 1/2 years in the plumbing trade, building So. Cal.w/NITC & LA CITY certification