Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, Plumber
Experience:  30 years on the tools
15546140

Yesterday the pressure dropped in my Baxi combi 80e boiler.

Yesterday the pressure dropped in my Baxi combi 80e boiler. I refilled it slightly to increase the pressure and it currently stands at just over 1 bar. However cold water is pouring out of my overflow pipe. The water stops when I put my heating on but otherwise there is a constant stream of water.
Discovered that my bedroom rad is leaking, which presumably caused the pressure to fall initially, but I've turned that off.
Heating and hot water work fine.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick Ridley replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rick here UK plumber, when you say overflow pipe I assume you mean the copper pipe that is on the outside of the boiler wall, if so this is the pressure relief valve discharge pipe and it should only discharge at 3 bar plus, if it is running constantly, then either your filling loop is not turned off properly, or there is a problem with the plate heat exchanger, also your pressure gauge looks like it is not reading correctly, Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your help.
I've checked the filling loop and that's definitely turned off.
If I assume then that the pressure gauge isn't correct and that pressure is actually above 3 bar, how do I decrease the pressure? It must be worth me trying that before trying to call a plumber?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Rick, I'm an idiot!
Just tried to disconnect the silver braided pipe on the fillingloop and got water everywhere-It's been turned on for the last 24 hours!
Definitely off now though. What should my next steps be? The pressure gauge can't be correct, so presumably I need to decrease the pressure?
yes the gauge must be inaccurate, or the pressure relief valve is discharging at a lower pressure than it should, if the gauge rises and falls relative to hot and cold then I would leave it as it is and get a plumber to check it out when convenient, either way if the pressure is high it has been vented by the PRV and if it is as the gauge says then it is ok till the PRV is changed, safest way to reduce the pressure if you feel the need is via a rad bleed screw, only draw off a pint or so, Rick
Rick Ridley, Plumber
Experience: 30 years on the tools