Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

I have a whirlpool gas waterheater Model BFG1J5040T3NOV. The

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool gas waterheater Model BFG1J5040T3NOV. The water is too hot. I have the temperature set to WARM but I think it is running HOT, because when I move the thermostat from WARM to HOT and I get just passed HOT the heater lights which tells me that the water is already at the HOT temperature. A few months back it was behaving opposite. The water wouldn't get hot unless I slowly increased the temperature knob from WARM toward HOT until I heard the gas light then I could move the temperature knob back down to WARM and it would stay lit. I think it might be the regulator or the thermocouple but I don't know.
I am pretty good at making my own repairs. Is this something I can try to repair myself?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rick the plumber :

It sounds like the thermostat in the gas control valve is faulty. The gas valve will probably need to be replaced. This is a moderately difficult project that should not be attempted unless you are sure of your ability since you will be dealing with gas connections

Customer:

OK. The basic connections around the regulator looked easy enough. However, there is a primary connection of a steel pipe coming directly into the back of the regulator. Are there any diagrams on how this connects?

Rick the plumber :

You just dismantle the existing connections remove the old valve then install the new one and reconnect everything

Rick the plumber :

There should be a union on the gas line into the valve

Rick the plumber :

You just back the union nut off

Rick the plumber :

after turning off the gas first of course

Customer:

So the regulator just unscrews form the pipe comming out of the tank?

Rick the plumber :

no the gas valve is connected to the "pipe" that goes into the tank.

Rick the plumber :

you turn the entire gas valve to get it out

Customer:

It doesn't sound too bad. I was afraid that if I have someone come do it that the cost would start approaching the value of the water heater itself and it would just be as cheap to replace the whole unit.

Rick the plumber :

usually takes the largest pair of channel lock pliers to get a bight

Rick the plumber :

the gas valve cost ~$150+

Customer:

I just checked and the searspartsdirect has it for $160.

Rick the plumber :

if the heater is more than 7-8 years old it may not be worth fixing since the tank could leak at any time

Customer:

I installed it in 2006.

Rick the plumber :

Could be worth fixing. If the heater is over used it could last another 5 years

Customer:

It was listed to have a 12 year warranty but I don't know if the warranty will help me.

Customer:

I go tit from Lowes.

Rick the plumber :

The part may still be under warranty BUT I have no idea how to deal with this kind of warranty issue since you got it from Lowes

Customer:

I got it from lowes.

Customer:

They just said to contact Sears.

Rick the plumber :

be sure to leak test (use leak detector or dish detergent) all your joints

Customer:

Yes, understood.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX help.

Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.