Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor

I have a Kohler steam shower k-1734. I am getting a error 5

Customer Question

I have a Kohler steam shower k-1734. I am getting a error 5 on my control pad. Found a leak in the filter. Replaced the filter. Water pressure is fine.Still getting the error 5. Where is the water feed assembly in the generator?. Can I get a diagram? Note;the drain valve have hot water coming out, but it's only a light flow.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional ability .
This first link below is a direct link to kohl's Ben site, from here you can click on what part of the steam unit you would like to look at. atalog%2fdetail.jsp%3fitem%3d11047502%26section%3d2%26category%3d12%26subcategory%3d124%26retail%3dfalse
Follow the above links , the first one is for the outside parts, the second one is the manual plus parts break down, and trouble shooting guid. Also kohler has a Limited 3 year warranty
Most often times when you have small amount of water coming out of the steam pipe is that the thermostat is bad and causing the unit to over heat the water and will cause the pressure relief valve to open and cause water to come out as a safety . Other times the unit can fail all together not respond , best to turn the power off for a while to the unit at the main breaker that supplies power to the steam unit, then try turning back on , this maybe will reset the unit. In the case the leak caused water to get on a circuit board it can cause the unit to fail and also cause this problem. Call kohler at 1800 456 4537. M-f 8am too 4 pm
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
None of the links work. I need to find out where is the water feed assembly in the generator.
Expert:  Marc replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using, I will assist you today with your question. Please accept the answer upon completion of the Q&A process.
The water feed feeds into the top of the unit with a 3/8" water line, if you were to open the unit up and follow this line into the unit, this is the water supply. here is a link to copy and paste into your browser for the specs to the unit.
As for the drain valve leaking, I assume you are referring to the valve coming out of the bottom of the unit which drains the unit? Some have a solenoid that auto drain the unit, is this leaking? Or is it leaking from the relief valve off the top of the unit? If it is leaking off the top then this is the relief valve. This valve is to relieve excess heat if the unit over heats and excess pressure if there is too much pressure. Now if it is leaking by a bit and it is constant then this valve needs replacing as it has become faulty and or has a buildup of sediment in it. Sometimes you can get lucky and open it up (with the little flip lever on it) and then rap it with a tool on the top to seat it.
I hope this helps you a bit more!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The drain valve unit I mentioned, was dripping only when I turned on the Valve. I expected that the opened Valve would have a flow equal to the supply going in. Anyway, I am still getting the error 5 reading on the control panel. I reset the breaker. Then did a clean cycle for 45 min. Then I turned on the steam. It ran for 2 min. and then went back to Error 5.