Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

i have a slow running toilet. The bowl does not completely

i have a slow running toilet. The bowl does not completely empty. the problem appears to be past the toilet. Is there anything i can do?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rick the plumber :

You could still have a partial stoppage. Perhaps something is lodged in the bowl that the snake goes right by. The best way to snake a bowl is with a closet auger not a sink drain snake.

Rick the plumber :

Full Size Image

Rick the plumber :

If this is what you used then the next step is to pull the bowl off the floor and look for the obstruction from the outlet side.

Customer:

i used one. it was a 3 ft auger.

Rick the plumber :

then pulling the bowl off the floor is the next step.

Rick the plumber :

It is unlikely that the problem is in the drain line. It almost never clogs up unless there is a mail line stoppage

Rick the plumber :

if this was the case water would probably back up into the tub

Customer:

crap! i was hoping not to have to do that. what about attacking it from the plug side in the pipe in the crawl space?

Rick the plumber :

That will only work if you have a main line stoppage. Unless other fixtures are backing up I doubt a main line stoppage is the problem

Customer:

do you mean the toilet is bad and

Customer:

it needs replacement

Rick the plumber :

Not necessarily

Rick the plumber :

If you are lucky you may be able to clear the obstruction from the outlet end. But sometimes an object can get lodged in an inaccessible section of the toilet trap and it can't be cleared

Rick the plumber :

Then you need a new toilet

Customer:

will i use the auger at this end?

Rick the plumber :

if you can't see the obstruction to pull it out then running the auger in the opposite direction sometimes works

Rick the plumber :

do you have any more questions?

Customer:

sorry>>thanks for the info>>i will try that

Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer