Mark
Mark, Union Plumber
Experience:  32 Years Experience in Commercial, Hi-Rise, Residential Construction, 4 years Project Management

Options for adding a vent stack to existing old plumbing. We

Options for adding a vent stack to existing old plumbing.

We have a kitchen sink (in an old house, 1950's, built by some firemen, not carpenters) that does not drain correctly. It's clogged at times, and at best, XXXXX XXXXX drain. We hear a "glug, glug, glug" when we pull the drain plug.

Is this a vent stack issue, perhaps a clogged one, or absent altogether?

If the stack is absent, what is the simplest way to vent the sink drain pipes, please? The sink sits under a picture window that looks out into the garden.

I know of one way to vent the drain pipes, and that is to have a pipe above the p-trap routed inside the wall and penetrating up through the roof.

If we have to this, it will be difficult because a picture window sits above the sink and kitchen cabinets sit on the exterior walls on either side of the sink.

Would it be acceptable, (but not cosmetically desirable) to add a vent through the exterior wall against which the sink now sits?

Do we have to route the vent stack out the exterior at 90 degrees and then outside put an upside-down "J" on the pipe that comes through the wall, or is there a way to vent the sink drain pipes another way?

Of course, normally, the drain stack will penetrate the wall behind the sink and protrude through the roof. (new roof will be installed this next week, so if we have to penetrate the roof with a new stack, now is the time.)

Also, I have heard that there is another way to vent a sink that is installed on an center island with no wall to the ceiling in which to hide a vent stack. Could we do this here?

Which of our options is easiest to implement, please?

Thank you.

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.

Mark :

This is known as a Studor vent ( automatic air valve). This will vent the kitchen sink waste without having to make a penetration though the wall or roof. Code compliant in most states and jurisdictions. Thanks for the opportunity to help. Mark

Mark, Union Plumber
Experience: 32 Years Experience in Commercial, Hi-Rise, Residential Construction, 4 years Project Management