Jerry, Plumber
Experience:  over 20 years residential plumbing experience.
34748161

after I flushed the toilet, a very loud noise began in my pipes...it

after I flushed the toilet, a very loud noise began in my pipes...it seems to mainly be coming from my kitchen. If some water is running there, it is quiet. If I turn it off it starts, it is almost deafening. When this has happened before, adjusting a faucet usually works. That is not working this time. It is after midnight and I just need a quick fix so I can go to bed. My house is 90 years old. Please help! Thanks.

Jerry : Welcome to JA!
Jerry : try turning the valve at the wall for the toilet off.
Customer:

but the noise is coming from the kitchen

Jerry : kitchen faucet or pipes?
Customer:

pipes

Customer:

I think

Jerry : ok. try turning off the toilet.
Jerry : the fill valve on the toilet is known for making weird noises when going bad.
Customer:

still noisy the only thing that stops the noise is running the kitchen faucet

Jerry : Single handle faucet?
Customer:

yes

Jerry : Brand?
Customer:

moen and it is old

Customer:

the noise seems to shake the whole house

Jerry : You'll probably need to turn off the water under the sink then get a 1225 cartridge for your faucet.
Customer:

I have tried to turn off the water, I can't get it to stop completely

Jerry : Its leaking through the hot to cold most likely
Customer:

so what can I do tonight so I can go to bed?

Jerry : So the turn offs also need work? Well you can either turn off your house or leave the water slightly on in the kitchen until you can get it fixed
Customer:

I finally got the water turned off under the sink. I was turning the wrong knob before.However, when I turned it off the noise got louder than ever. Again, only running water stops it.

Jerry : There must be a fixture leaking do You have an outside hose near the kitchen?
Customer:

yes

Jerry : check it for leaks
Customer:

oh my gosh! I t was the outside hose...it was dribbling but is off now, and the noise has stopped. Why did this happen? Do I need to call a plumber tomorrow....do I still have a problem?

Jerry : great! could have been bumped? if it turns off without leaking its fine. Just may not have got turned off completely
Customer:

What caused the noise?

Jerry : Just water traveling through small places. Could have a little junk in the line or some loose pipes vibration. If it doesn't occur during normal use I wouldn't worry.
Customer:

ok thanks!