Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago
31194769

Having toilet debris coming up thru a floor drain in the basement.

Customer Question

Having toilet debris coming up thru a floor drain in the basement. Tree roots in sewer line?
Cost to clean out?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional ability. When you have a ejector pit and pump everything all plumbing on a lower level such as a basement will have all sewer drain into a ejector pit and a ejector pump will pump the waste up and over head to the sewer or septic system. When the pump goes bad all plumbing will back up and stop draining and sewage will come out the lowest point and a floor drain is the lowest place. First check to see if you have a ejector pit and pump and make sure it's working. If it's not then the pump has gone bad and will need replacement.if you do not have a pump then yes your sewer is clogged and will need to be cleaned out, price vary but should be 100- 200 for a rod job. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience: Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No ejector pit. Its an old house in a small town and I know some of those places have "French drains" where the basement drains kind of run out into a field and that's why I was very surprised to see toilet paper mixed in (since those kinds of drains are for cleaner water, I thought). $100-200 for a "rod job"...how much for the camera to see if there's a tree root problem? Huge tree right outside the basement door.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good chance there is roots in the sewer and , just having the roots cut out with a rod will not fix the problem long term , it's like getting your hair cut , it will grow back and the next time they grow back they come in thicker and fuller then last time. Same goes for that liquid root killer, it only fixes the problem short term and the roots will grow back bigger then before. To have a guy camera the sewer should be around 60- 100 , if your going to call a guy out make sure you get a price over the phone with the rod job and the camera it should be around 200- 400 . Make sure you watch the guy as he puts the camera in so you can see on his screen what the problem is and ask for a copy of the video report , also make sure you ask how many feet in the pipe is the problem located at. Also as far as the tree ,if it's causing the problem the only real way to fix the root problem would be to cut the tree down , other wise it's just going to keep causing this problem and one day cause so much damage to the pipe that the sewer will need to be replaced. Back in the day they let people plant any kind of trees where ever they wanted, now there are only certain types of trees you can plant near a sewer or in a public park way and that is because if of the tree roots problems. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.