Bill, Master Plumber
Experience:  39 1/2 years in the plumbing trade, building So. Cal.w/NITC & LA CITY certification

I get a groaning noise through our pipes everytime we turn

I get a groaning noise through our pipes everytime we turn on our cold tap or flush the toilet. I have tried to adjust the water pressure by turning it down at the main tap, but that has not worked. It is not a knocking noise, but a long groan as if there may be air in the pipes. Thanks for your time. Julie

Marc the plumber : Hello and thank you for using, does the noise continue after the faucet has been turned off? Maybe 20seconds to a couple minutes after? believe it or not, your problem is coming from the toilet fill valve inside the toilet. This valve is what fills the toilet tank back up. Otherwise referred to as a ballcock assembly. I highly recommend changing this or hiring a plumber to do it for you. The valve is attempting to let water into the toilet (when a pressure drop is occurring from turning on the faucet or when the toilet is almost done filling and very little water is entering the toilet it actually "Chatters". It's almost a water hammer that continues, from an on and off motion within the fill valve. Try this and I would be willing to bet your nuisance noise goes away.
Marc the plumber : I recommend a fluidmaster fill valve for the repair to the toilet. Most every hardware stores have these products in stock.
Marc the plumber : If your satisfied with my response please accept the answer, feel free to request me for future questions, and as always, tips are allowed and accepted. Thank you and have a great day!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Marc. The problem does not actually come from the toilet, it occurs every time we turn on a cold tap anywhere in the house , it also makes a noise when the toilet is filling up but that is because the cold water is being used.
I understand, typically you hear this noise within the walls and not actually the toilet, it's a water hammer, resonated in the walls but typically causes by a faulty toilet fill valve. Water hammer will flow back through a pipe, find a point to hammer, could be at a location of a loose hanger on a pipe within the wall. Try removing the tank cover of your toilet, ever so slightly push down on the fill valve to make the water flow into the tank slowly and see if you hear the noise, 9 out of 10 times this is the culprit. I understand your thoughts, it can't be there, but it's the most common complaint of noise such as this that I get.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The plumber is sure that the problem stems from my toilet, but i m pretty sure that it does not ,it is not a hammering noise which i explained and it happens whenever i trun on a tap.

You say you turned down the pressure by turning down the main shut off valve?

When you turn the valve this will not turn down the pressure. In order to lower the pressure you need a pressure regulator.

You should not have more than 80 psi in your house a good pressure would be about 65 psi. If you have more than 80 psi and you dont have a pressure regulator then you need to install one. If you have one then you need to get a gauge you can screw on to a hose bib to check your pressure. A pressure regulator can go bad and will need to be replaced if you cant get the pressure to go down.

When the pressure is to high when you open a faucet it can make a sound as the water goes by the angle stop.

Also you can check the pressure and temperature relief valve at the water heater this my be relieving pressure and this will make a groaning sound.

Bill, Master Plumber
Experience: 39 1/2 years in the plumbing trade, building So. Cal.w/NITC & LA CITY certification