Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have low cold water pressure in my upstairs bathroom and

I have low cold water pressure in my upstairs bathroom and low hot water pressure everywhere in the house. I have cold good water pressure from the street with the outside hoses and downstairs kitchen, bathroom etc. What could cause this and how can it be fixed? Can a home owner do this?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rick the plumber :

If everything in the upstairs bath has poor cold water pressure the most likely culprit is a broken shut off valve to the upstairs. You could have the same problem with the hot water. The shut off to the tank could be broken. Either or both could be due to a loose washer in the valve

Customer:

Where is this valve and is this something you would recommend for a home owner to do or should I hire a professional? If I hire a professional, how long would this take to fix and any idea the price range?

Rick the plumber :

The valve for the water heater would be right above the heater on the cold water line feeding the tank. No telling from here where a valve for the second floor might be. If you are real handy it might be something you could tackle but very often when the washer breaks loose it's because the screw holding it in place has broken. This mean you need to drill out the old screw and tap new threads for a replacement screw. Maybe not a DIY project.

Rick the plumber :

How long it would take would be at best an educated guess from here. Cost for a plumber could range from $150 to $200 possibly more

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any more questions?