Todd
Todd, Plumber
Experience:  Union Plumber 28 years of service work, and new homes.

What is causing my toilet to run water in the tank every few

What is causing my toilet to run water in the tank every few minutes? It runs for about 5 seconds. I don't see any leaks in or out of the unit. Also it will do the same thing any time a water outlet anywhere in the house is turned off from running.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Todd replied 3 years ago.

Todd :

It sure sounds like the flapper is bad.

Customer:

What does the flapper look like? Is it the black plug attached to the chain that allows water to exit?

Todd :

Yes this would be the flapper.

Todd :

This holds the water in the tank until you push the handle down to flush. It may not be seating right, or it just could be worn out.

Customer:

I checked it and it is sealed tightly. No water is leaving the tank. It just keeps filling and then runs over in the little tube in the center

Todd :

So the water does not stop flowing into the tank at all?

Customer:

No, it just runs for a few seconds and stops and overflows into the center tube. Even if there is vibration on the floor etc. it will cut on and run and stop and flow into the tube.

Todd :

Would you happen to know what brand of fill valve is in the toilet. This would be the part with the float on it

Todd :

Is it white , black or gray?

Todd :

or a lite brown?

Customer:

No it is just yellow and the toilet is American Standard brand

Todd :

Ok if the water turns off and then it runs into the overflow then turn back on for short time , and if you have tried to adjust the adjustment screw on the top of the fill valve and this did not work. Then the fill valve is bad or there is debris in the valve, either way I would just replace the fill valve.

Customer:

I also notice that when it is filling, water comes from outside the yellow cap where I am guessing contains the fill valve. Is this possibly a sure sign that it is bad?

Todd :

This is part of the fill valve , and this would be a sure sign the valve is bad. I use fluildmaster replacement fill valve, models 400 or pro 45

Todd :

Most home improvement store and some hardware stores carry this valve.

Customer:

OK Thanks Todd, you have been a great help, But one last question, The flapper and the seal look great but at the bottom where this assembly is attached to the tank, the black seal around that is chipping after I was messing with it. Should this be replaced or leave alone, I don't see any leaks, just tiny black particles in the tank

Todd :

Yes I would replace the flapper also they run about $5, this way you covered all the bases

Todd :

I may have miss understood you on the last question . Are you talking about the rubber gasket on the bottom of the white tube?

Todd :

Or the black seal on the bottom of the fill valve.

Todd :

Where it goes through the tank.

Customer:

I am talking about the rubber seal beneath the flapper directly on the bottom of the tank

Todd :

If there is nothing leaking under the tank (between the tank and bowl) I would not mess with this. This seal is very large and there should be plenty of rubber left to seal this flush valve

Todd :

the Flush valve in what the flapper hooks to

Customer:

Thanks Todd You have been a great help.

Expert:  Todd replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Todd replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome, thank you for using Just Answer.
Todd, Plumber
Experience: Union Plumber 28 years of service work, and new homes.