Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

THERE IS A HISSING NOISE COMING FROM MY TOILET

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick the plumber :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rick the plumber :

If the water level in the tank is below the overflow pipe then you may need to replace the fill valve.

Full Size Image

Customer:

WHICH IS THE FILL VALVE?

Rick the plumber :

It's the part that controls the water flow/level in the tank. Refer to the picture above. If yours is an older style it ma have a float arm with a ball type float on the end

Customer:

THE WATER LEVEL IS NOT BELOW THE OVERFLOW PIPE, THIS TOILET IS ONLY A COUPLE OF YEARS OLD

Rick the plumber :

Then you need to adjust the fill valve so the water level is about 1/2" below the top of the overflow.

Rick the plumber :

I need to know what the fill valve looks like to tell you how to adjust it

Customer:

HOW WOULD I DO THAT?..THE WATER LEVEL APPEARS TO BE JUST BELOW THE OVERFLOW

Rick the plumber :

what does the fill valve look like?

Rick the plumber :

does it look like the one in the picture above?

Customer:

YES, THE SET UP IS THE SAME

Rick the plumber :

Refer to the picture. it shows a water level adjustment clip. Squeeze the ends of the clip and move it down about 1/2". If that doesn't stop the hissing then there is probably some debris fouling the fill valve and replacing it is probably your best bet

Customer:

THE HISSING DID NOT STOP..THIS TOILET IS ONLY ABOUT 2 YEARS OLD , IS THIS A COMMON PROBLEM IN A TOILET THIS OLD?

Rick the plumber :

The age of the toilet is not the issue. Any toilet fill valve can get fouled from debris or sediment in the water. There is one more thing you can try but if you can't get the fill valve back together you will have to replace it right away since the toilet won't work. The top of the fill valve comes off by turning it a quarter turn to the right. You can then remove it and wash out the rubber washer or any debris that has collected where the washer compresses to shut it off. Turn the water off before you do this. Then put id back and turn it 1/4 turn to the left to re-engage

Customer:

THE HISSING STOPPED WHEN I SHUT THE WATER OFF..WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

Rick the plumber :

It means I've properly diagnosed the problem

Customer:

GREAT..WHATS THE DIAGNOSIS ?

Rick the plumber :

that water is leaking by through the fill valve like I've been saying all along

Customer:

REPLACING THE FILL VALVE IS THE SOLUTION ?

Rick the plumber :

or try cleaning it out like I described before

Customer:

AM I TURNING THE FLOAT CUP ALSO.. IT DID NOT COME OFF WHEN I TRIED TO TURN IT AS YOU SUGGESTED

Rick the plumber :

Yes the arm that the float is connected to will turn with it. If you can't get it off try turn it the other direction. If that doesn't work you will need to replace it

Customer:

I CAN NOT THIS OFF..I ASSUME I NEED GET A PLUMBER TO DO THIS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

Rick the plumber :

Please hit accept
Thanks for using Just Answer

Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.