Todd
Todd, Plumber
Experience:  Union Plumber 28 years of service work, and new homes.
25342425

do pressure reducing valves go bad . I have a rental home and

Customer Question

do pressure reducing valves go bad . I have a rental home and the main shut off and the pressure reducing valve are in the garage and now in the last two weeks when the tenants use the tub or flush the 12 inch pipe in the garage. That has the main shut off and the pressure reducing valve makes a pulsating noise thats a bit loud and bothering the tenants . They're worried that the pipes are going to burst and ruin the home.

Should I just adjust the pressure reducing valve a little to stop the pulsating
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Todd replied 6 years ago.
Yes pressure reducing valves do go bad. If the valve is pulsating either there is something in the valve or the valve is going bad. Adjusting the valve may help the pulsating for a while. but most like it will return if the valve is going bad.

Edited by Todd on 2/8/2011 at 2:34 AM EST