Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago
31194769

In December, my kitchen sink was backing up into the 2 sinks

Customer Question

In December, my kitchen sink was backing up into the 2 sinks in my master bath which is adjacent to the kitchen. I rented a 75 foot snake and put every inch into the drain in the kitchen, then in the bathroom which seemed to work just fine. Yesterday we had a hard freeze (no rain or snow) and I set the faucets to slow drip, when I got up in the morning the same sinks that were backing up in December were backing up again.

Should I just get a longer snake and try again? I cant seem to locate the main drain outside so if I have to find it I will.

There is a difference in these 2 backups which might be pertinent, the first back up was really nasty with lots of debris and gunk, this one seems to be cleaner.

If I leave the drain alone it will slowly drain in about an hour.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional ability. There are a couple of things to look at here , When something drains over a long time but still drains could mean 2 things , 1) that there is tree roots in the main sewer going to the street or septic and it will still drain but really slow, 2) the sewer pipe has cracked or settled or separated and now will drain slow or not at all. I recommend you call out a sewer camera company to put a sewer camera down the pipes to look for both of the things i just listed, request a copy on a dvd so you can use it later to fix the problem. Then after you know what is wrong and where the problem is then you can choose to fix it how ever you feel fit or just have a company do it for you . A sewer camera can show you whats wrong and where the problem is at, it might be more then just roding it out , you might have a break or tree roots. Keep in mind tree roots are like your hair you can cut them but they grow back thicker and bigger then before and can really cause a lot of problems . Thank you for Choosing Just Answer .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hmm, I wouldnt think Tree Roots would be the problem because the house is only 3 years old and the trees are still fairly small.

Here is one more thing I forgot to add, I had those people who sell the Kirby Carpet Cleaners over and they cleaned my living room and I stupidly let them dump the dirty water in my sink. The first back up looked to have carpet fibers in it but I couldnt be sure about it.

How much would you think a camera service would cost?
A camera service should be about 100-350 call around to get some prices for local contractors. I do not think the carpet cause this problem, If the house is new then the tree roots you can rule out , but in new houses , the ground is settling and shifting and can cause the pipe to separate and settle and then this will cause the problem you are halving , I recommend you having the sewer video taped and make sure you request a copy on dvd. Good luck and Thank you for Choosing Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ill check into that, what I dont understand is why the first time I snaked it it seemed to be taken care of and ran just fine until this week.
That is just how plumbing and problems seem to work , If the pipe is separated a little then the dirt will fall in the pipe ans stop the flow , then rod could have pushed threw the dirt and go it flowing again but if the pipe has separated then it will not fix the problem and it is just a matter of time until it would happen again. Thank you for Choosing Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Right, I got ya.

Would the break most likely be outside the house?
Yes , or right as it exits the building , most often times its right where it exits the building , as the ground settles the house will also settle and the pipe will break or shear off and when this happens it can still allow some stuff to drain for a short time then the rod will help it but not fix it , the video tape is a good idea and will find the problem guaranteed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would it make any difference if I told you when I keep the faucet on it gargles as it is backing up? I know I said the drain wasnt filled with leaves but I thought Ide ad that.

Yes when gurgling is going on then you have a problem with the main sewer for sure and as it drains it will gurgle when there is a major block or separation , Good luck and use the information i have given you and print it out if you want and read over it again so you have a good understanding . thank you for Choosing Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was thinking this over and l
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was thinking this over and please don't think I'm questioning your knowledge but if it were a main drain problem wouldst the entire house be affected and not just the 3 sinks?

on the first floor of the house go run the bath tub or shower , and flush all toilet , then go run the sinks that have been giving you the problems. Depending on how your house's plumbing is ran all depends on how the problem will accrue . If everything in the hole house is working fine except just a couple of sinks then come back to me and I will explain some other things , but make sure you run everything for a while not just a couple of seconds , more like a couple of minutes with everything on .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I ran the shower for 20 minutes and flushed the toilet over and over and nothing backed up but I turn the kitchen sink on for about 2 minutes and the gurgling started and it backed up.
ok , then your main sewer seems to be good and the kitchen sink drain sounds clogged up again, is there anything else in the house not draining or is it just the kitchen sink?
On all sinks they have pee traps under them , these pee traps can be removed and cleaned out as food particles build up over time . IF that doesn't help then the drain pipe in the wall for the sinks need to be roded out with a power rod. Keep in mind a drainage system or sewer system should never ever have to be roded out unless there is something wrong or not installed right . Thank you for Choosing Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had snaked the lines in December and seriously doubt enough debris got in it to clog it up again. Ill check into the power rod thing.
You will be surprised food particles and grease build up and can cause a clog, keep in mind it should never back up if installed right so something could be back pitched or not installsed right , or could just be getting clogged because of grease . Under the sink is the pee traps look in them first and make sure they are clean , Thank you For Choosing Just Answer.
It is possible that you have a vent problem, and you might want to have that looked at , but if you snaked the drain back in December and it started working again then that tells me that it is most likely clogged again and will need to be snaked out again .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I jusat really dont know how it could get clogged so quickly, Ive been very careful with what I put down there. You think I could have just done a crappy job snaking the first time? Im going to go with a 100 foot snake this next time.
It might not be that you did a bad job, a sewer or drain should never back up and when they do it hasn't been installsed properly or something is not right . The other thing is that you maybe need to go in further and also do it a couple of times and also run a garden hose down the pipe once you un clog it , this will help flush out anything stuck in the pip. If you rod it out again and it fixes it but soon later down the road it happens again then there is something more going on and you will want to have it looked at or have a sewer camera look into the pipe as something is wrong. Good luck and Thank you for Choosing Just Answer.
Plumbers Protect the Nations Health, , If you aren't 100% satisfied with my Answer, I would be happy to clarify for you. When you feel I have Answered your Question to the best of my ability, please click, (Accept) or you won’t be able to leave me customer feedback and I won't receive credit for Answering this question.