Plumbing Pro
Plumbing Pro, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed plumbing contractor state of Il, & Chicago

My outside faucet is frozen. How do I defrost it?

Should I be worried if my outside faucet is frozen? If so how should I defrost it?

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumbing Pro replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

First thing always take the hose off in the winter time, when you leave the hose attached it will cause the faucet to freeze. Even with the hose off they still can freeze. It all depends on if it is a frost proof hose spigot or not. If its not then it will freeze for sure when it gets cold out. If it is a frost proof hose spigot then it has frozen due to it dripping or if the hose was attached. Inside the house you might have a shut off valve to shut that spigot feed off , if you do then go turn it off. You can try to use a hair blow dryer to defrost it by opening up the spigot as if water was to come out then take the hair dryer and stand on the side and blow hot air at the spigot. This might work, might not work. It all depends on how long its been frozen or how bad it is. In most cases this will not work only if its a little frozen. Other than that you can wait for the weather to warm up or call out a plumber to defrost it.

Good luck and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So the chances of the pipe bursting is low? This is my main concern and need to know if I can/need to do anything to prevent this from happening. I don't need to use the faucet at this time, just wondering about preventing damage.

If it does burst there is no stopping it or preventing it. If its going to happen its going to happen, they can burst. Just keep an eye on it until it warms up and if you have shut off valve inside the house to turn the spigot off, then do that and turn it off so if it does burst it will not have any water going to it. If you go to ace hardware or a hardware store they sell a little cup cover that you can put over the spigot to help keep the direct wind off of it and will reduce it from freezing more. They are a couple of dollars and worth a shot. The most important thing is when the weather warms up it can start to leak if it did burst. So for right now I would say you are fine and you will just need to keep an eye on it when it starts to warm up.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.