How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike the plumber Your Own Question
Mike the plumber
Mike the plumber, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 250
Experience:  Fifteen years in the residential service industry and new construction
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Mike the plumber is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a kohler kitchen faucet. I need to replace the cartridge,

This answer was rated:

I have a kohler kitchen faucet. I need to replace the cartridge, how do I remove it?

KOHLER Forté Brushed Nickel Kitchen Faucet
Item #: 89234 | Model #: 10430-BN

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to Answer your question to the best of my professional ability. After you remove the handle you now need to unscrew the bonnet counter clock wise , this is what holds the cartridge into place once you remove the bonnet you can then take out the old cartridge and then drop in the new one then tighten up the bonnet back into place by turning it clock wise and then put the handle back on . Keep in mind before you do anything you must first turn the water off to the faucet first . Also below is a link for a parts break down so you can see how everything goes together , good luck and thank you for Choosing Just Answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I actually figured it out on my own. I will accept your answer though since it is exactly what I had to do if you could be so kind as to answer my follow up question.


The reason I think I need to replace this cartridge is because when I turn on the faucet it makes a klunk noise. This is of itself not a major problem, but... When I turn on the sprayer, it does not work, the same klunk noise is made but no water. Then when I let go of the sprayer, instead of the water coming back on thru the faucet, there is no water at all. Sometimes I have to let the facuet sit off for several hours before it begins to work again. Is this truly a problem with the cartridge? NOTE: After removing the old cartridge today and just putting it back in (no one had a replacement), it still makes the klunk, there is now a trickle of water coming from the sprayer, and the faucet does not have to sit for hours before working, it now comes back on when I turn off the handle and turn in it back on.


Thank you for you answer(s).

I'm Mike. I'll be glad to help you with this issue. This is a diverter issue. The diverter switches the water from the faucet spout to the sprayer. What's happening is the diverter is clogged with debris, or it has worn out. Change the diverter and you will be back in business. If you have any other questions, please ask.
Thanks, Mike

You should contact Kohler direct and order the part or go to ace hardware they have a good selection of replacement parts, It would most likely be the cartridge based on what you have described , Thank you for Choosing Just Answer.

If you aren't 100% satisfied with my Answer, I would be happy to clarify for you. When you feel I have Answered your Question to the best of my ability, please click, (Accept) or you wont be able to leave me customer feed back and I won't receive credit for Answering this question.

Edited by Plumbing Pro on 1/23/2011 at 1:10 AM EST
This is definitely a diverter issue. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You may be able to remove your existing diverter and clean it out. If that does not work, then you will have to replace it with a new one.
Thanks, Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So, is the diverter the same as the cartridge or something else altogether? If it is something else, where is it in this faucet? I.E. is it in the barrel where the cartridge is, in the faucet itself?


thank you.

No the diverter is separate. Below is the parts breakdown of you faucet. The part number for the diverter is 75878.
Thanks, Mike
Mike the plumber, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 250
Experience: Fifteen years in the residential service industry and new construction
Mike the plumber and other Plumbing Specialists are ready to help you