Mike the plumber
Mike the plumber, Plumber
Experience:  Fifteen years in the residential service industry and new construction
45612278

I flushed my heavy wedding rings down the toilet on Saturday

Customer Question

I flushed my heavy wedding rings down the toilet on Saturday night. Toilet has been flushed probably 14 times since, 2 loads of laundry done, and one dishwasher load washed since. Had plumber here this morning with the camera scope with no success. Also checked the toilet trap, no success. I do not have a septic tank. I have the option of paying more money to get my city sewer lines camera scoped, do you think it is worth it? Have not flushed more than 3 times today.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Jerry : Welcome to JA!
Jerry : have you talked to city sanitation?
JACUSTOMER-i062s16v- :

yes i have, we have tons of snow here and they are unable to lift the manhole cover to help me

Jerry : if its not caught up anywhere in your home , then i highly doubt it would be found quickly in city pipes . did plumber pull toilet?
JACUSTOMER-i062s16v- :

yes he pulled toilet

JACUSTOMER-i062s16v- :

city sanitation said it's unlikely but they will keep their eye out and thought maybe it is still in my own city's pipes and think it may have not yet reached the main dump

JACUSTOMER-i062s16v- :

did you get any of that?

Jerry : hmm. im going to say the city might have a screen or trap at there end? i hope you have insurance:(
JACUSTOMER-i062s16v- :

insurance covers the rings under theft or fire

JACUSTOMER-i062s16v- :

i have the option of using a private company that the city uses and they have a super good camera and could put a trap in the pipe and try to force it out but they are very costly and i fear i flushed the toilet too many times and this may be a waste of money

JACUSTOMER-i062s16v- :

i guess i'm looking for a professional opinion to see if i should proceed with the expensive camera truck?

JACUSTOMER-i062s16v- :

any advice?

Jerry : i think its a long shot but ill opt out and ler others make opinion sorry
Expert:  Mike the plumber replied 5 years ago.
Hello
I'm Mike. I'll be glad to help you with this issue. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I think with the amount of water that has passed through your drainage system, and the fact that the camera didn't see the rings in your plumbing system, I don't think there is a chance of anyone finding them in the city's sewer. I think you would waste your money paying for someone to video inspect the city lines. The city lines can have thousands of gallons passing through them daily, so if it's made it that far, I don't think they will find it now. Again, I'm very sorry to hear this, and I wish I had a more positive answer for you. I had this same situation with one of my customers, so I've been down this road before. If you have any more questions, please ask.
Thanks, Mike

Edited by Mike the plumber on 1/18/2011 at 4:49 AM EST